Truck braking distance and energy loss with constant deceleration

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Chris18
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hey guys. I have a problem to solve but I am stacked and I don't now how,so any help will be hghly appreciated.The problem is the following: A truck of mass 9000kg is moving with speed 18m/s, when the driver decides to stop and applies the brakes. After 6s the truck stops. Assuming that the stopping is with constant deceleration calculate the followin:

a)The distance traveled by the car during stopping
b)The acceleration of the truck
c)The loss of energy due to friction

I would be grateful if you can give me some ideas using energy mostly but I wouldn't mind if you tell me another way through Newton Laws e.t.c!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


So I personally started (a) by finding the acceleration through Newton's Second law a=F/m...Then I used v^2/2a to define the distance traveled (S)...So i found the acceleration in question (a) so (b) is ready as well i think..I don't know what to do in (c) though
 
Physics news on Phys.org
d = -(speed)^2/(2*deceleration)
is the minimum distance travelled
 
Well work is calculated by W=F*d*cos(θ). I know the basics of the work-energy theorem. Still I can't understand how to solve part (c) of the problem...
 
Chris18 said:
Well work is calculated by W=F*d*cos(θ). I know the basics of the work-energy theorem. Still I can't understand how to solve part (c) of the problem...
What is the change in kinetic energy of the truck?

Chet
 
My idea is to use the equation of kinetic energy since the loss of energy must be equal to the initial kinetic energy of the truck according to law of conservation! Tell me if I am wrong pls! Best regards.