1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Truck colliding with passenger car - Who will be more hurt?

1. Oct 14, 2007 #1
    I have two questions guys.

When a large, heavy truck collides with a passenger car, the occupants of the car are more likely to be hurt than the truck driver. Why?

There is a picture of a moving ping-pong ball striking a stationary bowling ball which shows the ping-pong ball hitting the bowling then going opposite direction while the bowling ball moves forward a little bit. On the second, there is a moving bowling ball striking a stationary ping-pong ball. Both go forward obviously. The question is: The kinetic energy of the Ping-Pong ball is larger after its interaction with the bowling ball than before. From where does the extra energy come? Describe the event in terms of conservation of energy.

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2007 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why do you think?
    Where do you think it comes from?

4. Oct 14, 2007 #3
    I think the first is momentum and weight of the truck. I'm not completely sure about the second but I was thinking the energy comes from the bowling ball.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?