1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

True/False Questions about Capacitance

1. Feb 28, 2014 #1
    Answer true/false to the following statements about parallel-plate capacitors.

1) The charges on the two plates of a capacitor are equal.
    2) Capacitance is the property of a device that enables it to store current.
    3) The capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor is proportional to the separation of the plates.
    4) Charge is stored in the dielectric medium between the plates of a capacitor.
    5) Adding a dielectric between the plates of an air capacitor decreases its capacitance.

So far:

1) False -charges on the two plates of a capacitor are equal BUT OPPOSITE.
    2) False - ... enables it to store ELECTRIC CHARGE
    3) False - capacitance is INVERSELY proportional to the separation of the plates.
    4) True
    5) False - adding a dielectric between the plates INCREASES its capacitance.

All incorrect answers I've tried: FFFTF, FTFFF, FTFTF, FTFTT, TFFTF, TTFFF, TTFTF, TTFTT

I've tried 8 different answers to no avail. I keep thinking I am interpreting the questions wrong.
    If anyone can explain any of my errors I would really appreciate it!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2014 #2
    I figured it out after looking at it again.

4) Is false when I assumed it was True.

All answers are False :)

Thank you for taking the time to read this regardless!

4. Feb 28, 2014 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

As there are just 32 possible answers, I wonder how many attempts you have (apparently at least 9).

5. Feb 28, 2014 #4
    15 attempts are allowed.

I'm glad I was able to figure it out and understand the reasoning behind each one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted