[True or False] Subring of R isomorphic to R/I?

• Thread starter robertjordan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the statement that if I is a proper ideal in a commutative ring R, then R has a subring isomorphic to (R/I). However, it has been deemed false according to the book. The conversation goes on to define the terms and properties involved, such as proper ideal, subring, and ring homomorphism. The attempt at a solution involves examining the elements of (R/I) and showing that it has more elements than R, which would contradict the possibility of an isomorphism between the two. However, the definitions of ring and proper ideal may need to be checked for accuracy.
robertjordan

Homework Statement

If ##I## is a proper Ideal in a commutative ring ##R##, then ##R## has a subring isomorphic to ##\frac{R}{I}##.

Book says false...

Homework Equations

##I## being a proper ideal in ##R## means ##I## is a proper subset of ##R## where
(i) if ##a,b\in{R}## then ##a+b\in{R}##
(ii) ##0\in{R}## (Where 0 is the element in R such that for all ##r\in{R}##, ##r+0=r##
(iii) ##a\in{I}## and ##r\in{R}## implies ##ar\in{I}##

##\frac{R}{I}={[a]: a\in{R}}## where ##[a]= {a+r : r\in{R}}##
If ##b\in{[a]}## that means ##b\equiv{a}\pmod{I}## which means ##(b-a)\in{I}##
The identity of ##\frac{R}{I}## is ##[1]## where ##1## is the identity of R.

A subring ##S## of ##R## is a subset of ##R## where:
(i) ##a,b\in{S}## implies ##a+b\in{S}## and ##ab\in{S}##
(ii) ##0\in{S}## s.t. ##a+0=a## (this is the same 0 as R)
(iii) ##1\in{S}## s.t. ##a*1=a## (this is the same 1 as R)
(iv) for every ##a\in{S}##, there is a ##(-a)\in{S}## such that ##a+(-a)=0##
(v) ##(ab)c=a(bc)##
(vi) ## (a+b)+c = a+(b+c)##
(vii) ## c*(a+b)= ca+cb##A ring homomorphism from ##R## to ##\frac{R}{I}## is a function ##f: R\rightarrow \frac{R}{I}## such that for all ##x,y\in{R}##, ##f(xy)=f(x)f(y)## and ##f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)## and ##f(1_{R})=1_{\frac{R}{I}}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

If ##S## is a subring of ##R##, we know by property (iii) that ##1\in{S}##.
Now ##I## being a proper ideal of R implies ##1\not{\in}{I}## because if ##1\in{I}## then, for all ##r\in{R}##, ##r*1\in{I}## which would mean ##I=R## which is not true because ##I## is a proper ideal.

So if there was an isomorphism ##f## from ##S## to ##{R}{I}##, we would have to map the ##1## of ##R## to the ##1## of ##\frac{R}{I}##. Well the ##1## of ##\frac{R}{I}## is ##[1]## which is all the elements in ##R## that are congruent to ##1## modulo I. (AKA all the ##r\in{R}## such that ##r-1\in{I}##. I was hoping to show this means ##1\in{[1]}## which is a contradiction because ##1\not{\in}I##. But perhaps showing that ##\frac{R}{I}## has more elements than ##R## would be a better way to show there can be no isomorphism between them?Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
robertjordan said:

Homework Statement

If ##I## is a proper Ideal in a commutative ring ##R##, then ##R## has a subring isomorphic to ##\frac{R}{I}##.

Book says false...

Homework Equations

##I## being a proper ideal in ##R## means ##I## is a proper subset of ##R## where
(i) if ##a,b\in{R}## then ##a+b\in{R}##
(ii) ##0\in{R}## (Where 0 is the element in R such that for all ##r\in{R}##, ##r+0=r##
(iii) ##a\in{I}## and ##r\in{R}## implies ##ar\in{I}##

##\frac{R}{I}={[a]: a\in{R}}## where ##[a]= {a+r : r\in{R}}##
If ##b\in{[a]}## that means ##b\equiv{a}\pmod{I}## which means ##(b-a)\in{I}##
The identity of ##\frac{R}{I}## is ##[1]## where ##1## is the identity of R.

A subring ##S## of ##R## is a subset of ##R## where:
(i) ##a,b\in{S}## implies ##a+b\in{S}## and ##ab\in{S}##
(ii) ##0\in{S}## s.t. ##a+0=a## (this is the same 0 as R)
(iii) ##1\in{S}## s.t. ##a*1=a## (this is the same 1 as R)
(iv) for every ##a\in{S}##, there is an ##a^{-1}\in{S}## such that ##a*a^{-1}=1##
(v) for every ##a\in{S}##, there is a ##(-a)\in{S}## such that ##a+(-a)=0##
(vi) ##(ab)c=a(bc)##
(vii) ## (a+b)+c = a+(b+c)##
(viii) ## c*(a+b)= ca+cb##

A ring homomorphism from ##R## to ##\frac{R}{I}## is a function ##f: R\rightarrow \frac{R}{I}## such that for all ##x,y\in{R}##, ##f(xy)=f(x)f(y)## and ##f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)## and ##f(1_{R})=1_{\frac{R}{I}}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

If ##S## is a subring of ##R##, we know by property (iii) that ##1\in{S}##.
Now ##I## being a proper ideal of R implies ##1\not{\in}{I}## because if ##1\in{I}## then, for all ##r\in{R}##, ##r*1\in{I}## which would mean ##I=R## which is not true because ##I## is a proper ideal.

So if there was an isomorphism ##f## from ##S## to ##{R}{I}##, we would have to map the ##1## of ##R## to the ##1## of ##\frac{R}{I}##. Well the ##1## of ##\frac{R}{I}## is ##[1]## which is all the elements in ##R## that are congruent to ##1## modulo I. (AKA all the ##r\in{R}## such that ##r-1\in{I}##.

I was hoping to show this means ##1\in{[1]}## which is a contradiction because ##1\not{\in}I##. But perhaps showing that ##\frac{R}{I}## has more elements than ##R## would be a better way to show there can be no isomorphism between them?

Thanks

I think you've got your definitions somewhat wrong. I've NEVER seen a definition of 'ring' that includes having multiplicative inverses. That looks more like the definition of a field. And ideals that contain 1 are, as you've noted, pretty uninteresting. Could you check those definitions?

Dick said:
I think you've got your definitions somewhat wrong. I've NEVER seen a definition of 'ring' that includes having multiplicative inverses. That looks more like the definition of a field. And ideals that contain 1 are, as you've noted, pretty uninteresting. Could you check those definitions?

Thanks, I took out the part about commutative rings having multiplicative inverses. I believe the rest of the definitions are correct?

And do you think the right way to go about this problem is to use an argument about the number of elements in ##\frac{R}{I}## when ##I## is a proper ideal versus the number of elements in ##R##?

One problem with this is I couldn't find anything in my book about the number of elements in ##\frac{R}{I}##

Thanks again

robertjordan said:
Thanks, I took out the part about commutative rings having multiplicative inverses. I believe the rest of the definitions are correct?

And do you think the right way to go about this problem is to use an argument about the number of elements in ##\frac{R}{I}## when ##I## is a proper ideal versus the number of elements in ##R##?

One problem with this is I couldn't find anything in my book about the number of elements in ##\frac{R}{I}##

Thanks again

That seems pretty ok. There's a few other things but let's not worry about them right now. But if you insist that a subring of a ring with identity 1 must also contain the identity, then you don't want to define an ideal as a subring.

Since you know the book says it's false you should be thinking of a counterexample. Here's the usual example. Take R to be Z, the integers. Then an ideal of Z is the even integers, 2Z, yes? How many elements in the quotient Z/(2Z)?

Dick said:
That seems pretty ok. There's a few other things but let's not worry about them right now. But if you insist that a subring of a ring with identity 1 must also contain the identity, then you don't want to define an ideal as a subring.

By this do you mean if I insist that subrings of a ring R must have the same identity element as R?

And I agree that proper ideals are not subrings because they don't contain the identity.

Dick said:
Since you know the book says it's false you should be thinking of a counterexample. Here's the usual example. Take R to be Z, the integers. Then an ideal of Z is the even integers, 2Z, yes? How many elements in the quotient Z/(2Z)?

2 elements? Being the equivalence classes of even and odd integers? [0] and [1]...

If that's correct then it will obviously be a problem to find an isomorphism from a ring containing 2 elements to one containing infinite elements.

Is this right?

Thanks so much

robertjordan said:
By this do you mean if I insist that subrings of a ring R must have the same identity element as R?

And I agree that proper ideals are not subrings because they don't contain the identity.
2 elements? Being the equivalence classes of even and odd integers? [0] and [1]...

If that's correct then it will obviously be a problem to find an isomorphism from a ring containing 2 elements to one containing infinite elements.

Is this right?

Thanks so much

Yes, now you are almost there. But an infinite ring can contain a subring consisting of two elements, Z doesn't. Say why.

Dick said:
Yes, now you are almost there. But an infinite ring can contain a subring consisting of two elements, Z doesn't. Say why.

Any subring S of the integers must contain the identity (the integer 1 in this case), but by existence of additive inverses (which S being a subring gives us) if 1 is in there then -1 is in there, and that means S=##\mathbb{Z}##.

Is this right? Also, out of curiousity, do some books not require subrings to contain the same identity element as the ring they came from?

robertjordan said:
Any subring S of the integers must contain the identity (the integer 1 in this case), but by existence of additive inverses (which S being a subring gives us) if 1 is in there then -1 is in there, and that means S=##\mathbb{Z}##.

Is this right? Also, out of curiousity, do some books not require subrings to contain the same identity element as the ring they came from?

That's one thing. Most books I know define 'ring' without requiring it contain a multiplicative identity at all. A ring that has one is called a 'ring with identity' or 'unit' or something. Z doesn't even include a subring with 2 elements if you don't require an identity. Can you show that?

Dick said:
That's one thing. Most books I know define 'ring' without requiring it contain a multiplicative identity at all. A ring that has one is called a 'ring with identity' or 'unit' or something. Z doesn't even include a subring with 2 elements if you don't require an identity. Can you show that?

If S is a subring of Z then it either contains a nonzero element in which case it contains all multiples of that element and is of infinite size, or it is just {0} in which case it is size 1.

Is that right?

I was also wondering if you could take a look at my question about PID's? :shy: [edit: nevermind it looks like zodrina has posted a response]

Thanks

robertjordan said:
If S is a subring of Z then it either contains a nonzero element in which case it contains all multiples of that element and is of infinite size, or it is just {0} in which case it is size 1.

Is that right?

I was also wondering if you could take a look at my question about PID's? :shy: [edit: nevermind it looks like zodrina has posted a response]

Thanks

Right exactly. I'll have a look tomorrow. Zondrina is not 100% reliable, so take that advice with a grain of salt.

Dick said:
Right exactly. I'll have a look tomorrow. Zondrina is not 100% reliable, so take that advice with a grain of salt.

Thank you; I really appreciate your help.

robertjordan said:
Thank you; I really appreciate your help.

No problem. Very welcome. And I see micromass is on the PID thread. micromass is reliable.

It is false, try R = Z and I = ( 3 ), then R/I is not a subring of Z.

To prove this, remember that a subring must also be a subgroup of the additive abelian group that makes up the ring R.

1. What is a subring of R?

A subring of R is a subset of the ring R that is itself a ring under the same operations of addition and multiplication.

2. What does it mean for a subring of R to be isomorphic to R/I?

When a subring of R is isomorphic to R/I, it means that the subring has the same algebraic structure as the quotient ring R/I. This means that they have the same number of elements and the same operations, and can be mapped onto each other in a one-to-one and onto manner.

3. What is the significance of isomorphism in this context?

Isomorphism is significant because it allows us to study the properties of a subring of R by considering the properties of the quotient ring R/I, which may be easier to understand. It also allows us to transfer results and theorems from one ring to another.

4. Can every subring of R be isomorphic to R/I?

No, not every subring of R can be isomorphic to R/I. In order for a subring to be isomorphic to R/I, the subring must be an ideal of R. This means that it must be closed under multiplication by elements of R and contain the zero element of R.

5. How can we prove that a subring of R is isomorphic to R/I?

We can prove that a subring of R is isomorphic to R/I by showing that there exists a bijective homomorphism between the two rings. This can be done by constructing a map from the subring to the quotient ring and showing that it is both one-to-one and onto, and that it preserves the ring operations of addition and multiplication.