[Trusses] Problem finding forces in members

In summary, the conversation discussed the origin of factors like 5/sqrt(29) and 3/sqrt(34) in truss problems, which come from the geometry and trigonometry of a truss member. The equation for ΣMC was also mentioned, along with the length and horizontal component of member HG. The conversation ended with the speaker expressing exhaustion and the desire to sleep.
student314
Can anyone please explain where does 5/sqrt29 and 3/sqrt34 come from? I already got BC/know how to find BC, but in my own method, I tried to use moment about A or B, knowing that there is HGx, HGy & HCy, HCx -- there are way too many unknowns @ H.

So, looking at this, I'm wondering where does 5/sqrt29 and 3/sqrt34 come from? Please see the image for reference:

http://i.imgur.com/4ruELnE.png

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently I'm told to use the system of equations to find HG? Or HC? What does this mean, and how?

student314 said:
Can anyone please explain where does 5/sqrt29 and 3/sqrt34 come from? I already got BC/know how to find BC, but in my own method, I tried to use moment about A or B, knowing that there is HGx, HGy & HCy, HCx -- there are way too many unknowns @ H.

So, looking at this, I'm wondering where does 5/sqrt29 and 3/sqrt34 come from? Please see the image for reference:

http://i.imgur.com/4ruELnE.png

Thank you

When you see factors like 5/Sqrt(29) or 3/Sqrt(34) in truss problems, these almost invariably arise from the geometry (or more accurately, the trigonometry) of a truss member.

In the equation for ΣMC , what is the length of member HG? What is the horizontal component of the force in member HG?

HGx = HG(5/sqrt(29))? Then times 5 distance to moment C?

God, I'm so tired, I've been working and trying hard to figure out all day, I'm going to sleep for now

student314 said:
HGx = HG(5/sqrt(29))? Then times 5 distance to moment C?

God, I'm so tired, I've been working and trying hard to figure out all day, I'm going to sleep for now
Yep.

1. What is the purpose of finding forces in truss members?

Finding forces in truss members allows engineers to determine the structural integrity and stability of the truss. This information is crucial in designing safe and efficient structures.

2. How do you determine the forces in truss members?

The forces in truss members can be determined by using equations of equilibrium and analyzing the internal forces at each joint. This involves considering the external loads, support reactions, and geometry of the truss.

3. What factors can affect the forces in truss members?

The forces in truss members can be affected by various factors such as the type of truss, the magnitude and direction of external loads, the support conditions, and the material properties of the truss members.

4. Can the forces in truss members change over time?

Yes, the forces in truss members can change over time due to factors such as changes in external loads, deterioration of materials, or structural modifications. It is important to regularly monitor and reassess the forces in truss members to ensure structural safety.

5. Are there any limitations to finding forces in truss members?

There are some limitations to finding forces in truss members, such as assuming all members are perfectly rigid, neglecting the effects of friction and temperature changes, and not considering the dynamic behavior of the truss. These assumptions may not accurately reflect the actual behavior of the truss in real-life situations.