1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

[Trusses] Problem finding forces in members

1. Nov 24, 2014 #1
    Can anyone please explain where does 5/sqrt29 and 3/sqrt34 come from? I already got BC/know how to find BC, but in my own method, I tried to use moment about A or B, knowing that there is HGx, HGy & HCy, HCx -- there are way too many unknowns @ H.

So, looking at this, I'm wondering where does 5/sqrt29 and 3/sqrt34 come from? Please see the image for reference:

http://i.imgur.com/4ruELnE.png

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2014 #2
    Apparently I'm told to use the system of equations to find HG? Or HC? What does this mean, and how?

4. Nov 24, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

When you see factors like 5/Sqrt(29) or 3/Sqrt(34) in truss problems, these almost invariably arise from the geometry (or more accurately, the trigonometry) of a truss member.

In the equation for ΣMC , what is the length of member HG? What is the horizontal component of the force in member HG?

5. Nov 24, 2014 #4
    HGx = HG(5/sqrt(29))? Then times 5 distance to moment C?

God, I'm so tired, I've been working and trying hard to figure out all day, I'm going to sleep for now

6. Nov 24, 2014 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yep.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted