Solving Simple Truss Problem: Find Reaction Force at A

• Thread starter NoobeAtPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Truss
In summary, the truss is suspended by two pin joints at points A and B, with each of the four segments measuring 3 m wide and 4 m high. Using the equations of sum of forces and sum of moments, the reaction force at point A is found to be -3F and the reaction force at point B is 3F, assuming that both joints are capable of supporting vertical loads. If the supports are full hinges, then the reaction forces at points A and B would be F/2 each.
NoobeAtPhysics

Homework Statement

The truss is suspended by two pin joints at A and B. Each of the four segments is 3 m wide and 4 m high. Find the reaction force at A

joints2.611.gif

Homework Equations

d

The Attempt at a Solution

sum of forces y = -ay + by -f=0

Can someone tell me what the moment at B is?

Mb = -4*w*F + 0*Ay - Ax*h = 0

i don't know if that is right. Ay and ax confuse me

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm I got that Ax = -3F but I can't figure out what Ay is

Any thoughts?

Hmm, a friend told me Ay = F but.. I don't understand why?

Once you know Ax, and, then, Bx, consider the moments of the forces about the point where F is applied. That will give you an equation linking Ay, Bx, and By.

Thank you

but I don't know what Ay and By are, so that wouldn't help me would it?

You have an equation that relates them.

You have posted another equation with them in #1.

Two equations, two unknowns, problem solved.

Noobee,
Are you sure that both joints are pinned hinges and that there is not a roller support at B that would make it incapable of supporting vertical load? If the support at B was a roller support , then Ay = F. But if both A and B supports can support vertical loads, then the problem is statically indeterminate because you have 4 unknowns Ax Bx Ay and By, and only 3 equilibrium equations. It only affects the forces in AB, in either case. You may assume Ay = By = F/2, if both supports are full hinges capable of taking loads in the x and y directions.

PhanthomJay said:
But if both A and B supports can support vertical loads, then the problem is statically indeterminate because you have 4 unknowns Ax Bx Ay and By, and only 3 equilibrium equations.

Yes indeed. Using my "method", I end up having two identical equations, as was to be expected if I had thought straight. Not sure what I was thinking.

"Ay = By = F/2"

but Ay is -3F and By = 3F (which is the correct answer)

Also there are no rollers in this problem only pins.

NoobeAtPhysics said:
"Ay = By = F/2"

but Ay is -3F and By = 3F (which is the correct answer)

Also there are no rollers in this problem only pins.
That is not the correct answer for Ay and By. That is the correct answer for Ax and Bx (you correctly solved for Ax in your 2nd post). Note: It is assumed that x is the horizontal axis and y is the vertical axis.

Did you state the problem exactly as written?

1. What is a truss?

A truss is a structure made up of interconnected bars or beams that are designed to withstand tension and compression forces. It is commonly used in construction to support roofs, bridges, and other structures.

2. How do you solve a simple truss problem?

To solve a simple truss problem, you must first draw a free body diagram of the truss. Then, apply the equations of equilibrium to determine the unknown reactions at the support points. Finally, use the method of joints or method of sections to find the internal forces in the truss members.

3. What is the reaction force at point A?

The reaction force at point A is the force exerted by the support on the truss at that point. It is typically a vertical or horizontal force that is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the external loads applied to the truss.

4. What are the types of support in a truss?

The types of support in a truss include pinned, roller, and fixed support. A pinned support allows rotation but not translation, a roller support allows translation but not rotation, and a fixed support does not allow either rotation or translation.

5. How can I check if my solution is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can perform a static analysis by ensuring that the sum of forces and moments in the x and y directions is equal to zero. You can also check if your solution satisfies the equations of equilibrium and is consistent with the given external loads and support conditions.