Trying to determine probability

In summary: I am designing a smartphone app that will have a chance of winning prizes. The odds of winning each prize are displayed as "A: B" where A is the "probability for" and B is the "probability against". For example, if a prize has odds of 10:1, this means there is a 1 in 11 chance of winning the prize. I am also changing the number of prizes that can be won, and the odds for each prize will change accordingly. For example, today there may be 3 prizes with odds of 10:1, 50:1, and 100:1, and tomorrow there may be 5 prizes with odds of 5:1, 20:1, 50
Logger
Hi guys,

It's been 20 years since I left college so I have forgotten how to calculate probability.

It is probably very easy so can somebody just explain how I can get the odds/probability of winning.

If I create prize A with odds = 10/1 (one in ten chance of winning)
Prize B has odds of winning = 75/1 (one in 75 chance of winning
Prize C has odds of winning = 90/1 ( one in 90 chance of winning)

If these odds are layered on top of each other what are my chances of winning a prize.

can you also explain how its done rather than just posting the odds answer.

I presume my answer would be less than 10/1 as if there were only one prize (with A being the prize) but I now also have a chance of winning prize B or C also so that would mean it would be fractionally better than one in ten?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably easiest to add the fractions...

sjb-2812 said:
Probably easiest to add the fractions...
It's clear that this won't give you the right answer: suppose the probabilities for A, B, and C were each 1/2. Then adding the fractions would give 3/2, which makes no sense.

Let's introduce some notation:

P(A) = probability to win A = 1/10
P(B) = probability to win B = 1/75
P(C) = probability to win C = 1/90

P(no A) = probability to not win A = 1 - P(A)
P(no B) = probability to not win B = 1 - P(B)
P(no C) = probability to not win C = 1 - P(C)

P(win) = probability to win at least one prize
P(no win) = probability to win nothing

Note that P(win) = 1 - P(no win)

Also note that if the prizes are awarded independently, then

P(no win) = P(no A and no B and no C) = P(no A) P(no B) P(no C) = (1 - P(A))(1 - P(B))(1 - P(C))

So

P(win) = 1 - (1 - P(A))(1 - P(B))(1 - P(C))

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.So, jbunniii what are my odds (percentage or fractional) of winning a prize. Knowing the answer will help me to understand how you got the answer. I'm still not sure how to derive the final answer from what you have written.

Thanks,

Dave.

Logger said:
Thanks for the replies guys.So, jbunniii what are my odds (percentage or fractional) of winning a prize. Knowing the answer will help me to understand how you got the answer. I'm still not sure how to derive the final answer from what you have written.
Just plug the numbers into the final expression:

P(win) = 1 - (1 - P(A))(1 - P(B))(1 - P(C))

where

P(A) = 1/10
P(B) = 1/75
P(C) = 1/90

so

P(win) = 1 - (9/10)(74/75)(89/90) = 1 - 59274/67500 = 8226/67500 = 0.1218666...

I know this is going to sound really dumb but its 20 years since I last looked at a maths equation but can you just explain how you got the numbers 59274, 67500 and 8226.
Once again apologies for my ignorance but I need to fully understand this.

Thank you again for your time and help.

Dave.

Logger said:
I know this is going to sound really dumb but its 20 years since I last looked at a maths equation but can you just explain how you got the numbers 59274, 67500 and 8226.
Once again apologies for my ignorance but I need to fully understand this..

9 x 74 x 89 = 59274
10 x 75 x 90 = 67500

So
$$\left(\frac{9}{10}\right) \times \left(\frac{74}{75}\right) \times \left(\frac{89}{90}\right) = \frac{59274}{67500}$$

Now we want 1 minus this result, which is
$$1 - \frac{59274}{67500} = \frac{67500 - 59274}{67500} = \frac{8226}{67500}$$

Thank you so much for doing this for me this evening. I really appreciate this.

Have a great day.

Just one final comment: "odds of 10/1", usually written 10:1 or 10-1 equates to a one in 11 chance of winning, i.e a probability of 1/11, not 1/10. Consider odds of "evens" or 1:1, this equates to a probability of 0.5, not 1.

Logger said:
Hi guys,

It's been 20 years since I left college so I have forgotten how to calculate probability.

It is probably very easy so can somebody just explain how I can get the odds/probability of winning.

If I create prize A with odds = 10/1 (one in ten chance of winning)
Prize B has odds of winning = 75/1 (one in 75 chance of winning
Prize C has odds of winning = 90/1 ( one in 90 chance of winning)

If these odds are layered on top of each other what are my chances of winning a prize.

can you also explain how its done rather than just posting the odds answer.

I presume my answer would be less than 10/1 as if there were only one prize (with A being the prize) but I now also have a chance of winning prize B or C also so that would mean it would be fractionally better than one in ten?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Just a short comment: in my experience, odds a/b translate into probability a/(a+b) , not
a/b ; odds a/b are the ratio of "probability for" vs "probability against" , so that, e.g., odds 1:1
mean you're just as likely to "win" as to "lose".

What I am doing at present is designing a smartphone app and the users will have a chance of winning prizes. I just want to ensure that the company developing the app for me understands the probability of winning a prize.

I will be changing the number of prizes that can be won so for example I may have 3 prizes today
A= 10:1
B= 50:1
C= 100:1

They will scan a barcode and I am hoping it will randomly pick a prize and assign the correct odds of winning that prize.
I'm not sure how to have the algorithm written so that when the program accepts the barcode scan and does its random prize picking that when it does choose that it will pick the correct odds of winning that prize.
The higher the odds the more valuable in a monetary sense the prize will be.
A may equate to $5 value where the 100:1 prize may be worth $250
Does anybody know how I can lay out this to work...(I am not sure if its a computer programming issue or a maths equation part that I need to get right to ensure that the correct odds are applied to each prize...i.e I don't want the program to mess up and if 35 people were to scan I don't want 13-14 of them to win the 100:1 prize.
This is even hard to verbalise but I am hoping that somebody understands what I am trying to do and offer some advice on what I would need to do from a logic point of view.
Any answers would be really appreciated.

Dave.
B

1. You need to be sure that your offer complies with the applicable laws in the areas you are making it available. In most places, allocating prizes based on a random outcome of a future event requires a gambling license and is taxed appropriately.
  2. To help avoid this (in the UK at least, I'm not sure that this is relevant in the US and almost certainly not under Islamic Law) such promotions are normally done by pre-allocating prizes to tickets (via a unique identity to each ticket). This has the added benefit that you can allocate exactly 1 x 1 in 100 (i.e. 99:1) prize, 2 x 1 in 50 prizes and 10 x 1 in 10 prizes to each 100 tickets (or 10 x 1%, 20 x 2% and 100 x 10% prizes to each 1000 tickets) so you will know exactly how much you have to pay out. Note that this may only be part of what you need to do to be legal in any particular territory, for instance in the UK you normally have to introduce an element of "skill", hence those ridiculous questions like "Who was the first man on the moon (a) Neil Armstrong (b) Louis Armstrong".
Note that to avoid confusion you really need to specify your probabilities as 1%, 0.01 or 1/100, if you really mean 100:1 then you need to say 1/101 or 0.009901.

Last edited:
Hi Mr.Anchovy,

The will be no money transaction or any cost to anybody to play so I don't think it would be considered "gambling". The prizes will be offered for free by a store and you have a chance of getting a free "prize" based on a random chance by coming into the store.
Hope this gives more backround into what I am trying to do with the probability part. I just want to ensure that when it comes to coding the app that the "maths" part is correct and that the developers don't get the "formula" wrong, whereby stores end up giving out more prizes than they had planned to. I am just looking for the correct "formula" so they can code(understand) it correctly so the the correct number of people win based on the odds. ,

Dave.

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood that a certain event will occur. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. How do you calculate probability?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical probability model.

3. What are the different types of probability?

There are three main types of probability: classical, empirical, and subjective. Classical probability is based on theoretical calculations, empirical probability is based on data and observations, and subjective probability is based on personal opinions and beliefs.

4. How can probability be used in real life?

Probability is used in many fields, including science, economics, and finance. It can be used to make predictions, assess risk, and make informed decisions based on the likelihood of certain outcomes.

5. What are some common misconceptions about probability?

One common misconception is that events with a low probability will never occur. In reality, even unlikely events can still happen. Another misconception is that past outcomes can influence future outcomes, when in fact, each event is independent and unaffected by previous outcomes.