What is this part from my dad's work at a nuclear research establishment?

• Thread starter marcosmatt
  • Start date
In summary, this object is unknown and has no known purpose. It may be from a nuclear research establishment, but it is not radioactive. It may be from a model of a thing, but it is not a production-level part. It may be from a fuel pin spacer grid, but it is far too crude for a reactor.
Orodruin said:
In my book at least two illustrations are based on photos I took in my kitchen.
The water flowing out of the faucet, and maybe the dice? Or was the picture of the street signs from your kitchen window?

Engineering news on Phys.org
berkeman said:
The water flowing out of the faucet, and maybe the dice? Or was the picture of the street signs from your kitchen window?
The faucet and the soap film between two rings.

The dice were photographed in my living room iirc.
The street signs were next to a roundabout about a 10 minute walk away.

Likes berkeman
[ continuing_slight_hijack ]

Did you take the cover picture too? It gives insights into how your mind works... :smile:

1658446316608.png

[ /hijack ]

berkeman said:
[ continuing_slight_hijack ]

Did you take the cover picture too? It gives insights into how your mind works... :smile:

View attachment 304605

[ /hijack ]
Yea. That is taken in central Stockholm. I took the picture (I actually went looking for catenaries specifically and had some ideas on where to find them - the flowing water in the background was a bonus) and wrote the equations. The publisher’s graphics designers put the picture into a couple of suggestions for the cover and asked which was my favorite.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes dlgoff and berkeman
marcosmatt said:
So didn't believe earlier result so made something to measure better. This brings me to 29g and a density of 7.4g/cm^3. That I believe is around the stainless steel mark. Few pics for entertainment value😃

OK, I had to review the posts:

Mass: 216g (post 22)
Volume: 29ml (post 27)
So ~7.5g/cm^3