1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to invert an expression

  1. May 26, 2015 #1
    I've come across an expression that looks like

    n(k) = ∫cos(x-y)f(x,y)dxdy

    Is there a name for this transform? I would like to invert it to obtain f(x,y) but I'm not used to the 2D integral on the RHS. I tried to turn it into a fourier transform:

    n(k) = 1/2 ( ∫eixe-iyf(x,y)dxdy + ∫e-ixeiyf(x,y)dxdy)

    but got stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2015 #2


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Hi, there is something of strange, where is ##k## in the integral?, you say ##n(k)## but in the right side I don't see ##k##, and what is the domain of integration ?
  4. May 27, 2015 #3
    You are right! Sorry, I forgot about the k when writing down the expression(s). The correct expression is

    n(k) = ∫ cos( k(x-y) ) f(x,y) dxdy

  5. May 27, 2015 #4


    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    I think your transform is analogous to the ''cosine transform'', I hope you can find something useful here


    but I think (as you wrote...) it is possible to use the inverse Fourier transform...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Similar Discussions: Trying to invert an expression
  1. Try this (Replies: 1)

  2. Inverted shape? (Replies: 4)

  3. Inverting a Series (Replies: 3)