Trying to understand special relativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the basic concepts of relativity and how to approach questions involving moving observers and time and length dilation. The suggested approach is to use Lorentz transformations rather than the dilation equations, as it is easier and less prone to errors. The problem at hand involves three events in a frame, with the observer O' at the origin and two events at equal distances from the observer. The suggested solution involves transforming to new co-ordinates using the Lorentz transformations and then applying the concept of time and length dilation.
loobloke
I'm just trying to figure out the basic concepts of relativity and I just seem to confuse myself more the more I think about it.

Homework Statement

Consider a moving observer O' at velocity v in one dimension.
Two simultaneous events, each distance L away from the observer occur.
What is the time difference between the 2 events as observed by O'?

How far will the moving observer O' be observed to have moved during this time difference by a stationary observer O.

Homework Equations

Time Dilation
Length Dilation

The Attempt at a Solution

:(

Is there like a trick to approaching questions like this and to understand the basic concepts for this kind of stuff?

Cheers guys.

EDIT: Should have probably put this onto the introductory forums. Sorry!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The description is a little bit unclear. I presume that the two events in two opposite directions from O'.

In my opinion, the trick to approaching these questions is simply to use Lorentz transformations, rather than try to work from the dilation equations. It's easy to slip up in just apply dilation, whereas if you use the Lorentz transformations the dilation falls out immediately.

As I read your problem, you have a three events defined in a frame "O". Events are locations by a single space co-ordinate along a line, and a time at which it occurs. We'll put the observer O' at the origin at time 0, and have the events also at time 0.

There are the two the event (L, 0) and (-L, 0), while O' is at the origin (0,0).

Now transform to new co-ordinates moving at velocity v. Do you know the Lorentz transformations?

Cheers -- sylas

Ahh thanks. I can do the Lorentz.

It does seem like a much simpler method.

Appreciate it mate :)

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 to explain the relationship between space and time. It describes how objects in motion appear differently to observers depending on their relative speeds and explains phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction.

2. How is special relativity different from classical mechanics?

Special relativity differs from classical mechanics in that it accounts for the effects of high speeds and the constancy of the speed of light. It also introduces the concept of spacetime, where space and time are interconnected and can be distorted by massive objects.

3. What is the theory of relativity of simultaneity?

The theory of relativity of simultaneity states that events that appear to occur simultaneously to one observer may not appear simultaneous to another observer if they are moving at different speeds. This challenges the common notion of absolute time and shows that time is relative.

4. How does special relativity affect our understanding of the universe?

Special relativity has revolutionized our understanding of the universe by providing a more accurate and comprehensive framework for understanding the behavior of objects in motion. It has led to groundbreaking discoveries such as the equivalence of mass and energy, and the famous equation E=mc².

5. Can special relativity be proven?

Special relativity has been extensively tested and verified through various experiments and observations, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment and the confirmation of time dilation through atomic clocks. While it cannot be proven conclusively, its predictions have consistently been supported by empirical evidence, making it a widely accepted scientific theory.