Time measured by a car-Special relativity

In summary,In summary,The attempt at a solution is to use the Lorentz 's formulae to calculate the time and position of the two events. Paulo's solution does not look correct.
PeroK said:
Ah, okay. But ##x_1 = 0##.
Let's see: O and A are initially in the same place (t=t'=x=x'=0). Correct? Then A moves with a velocity c/3. It was as if O moves farway from A at that velocity. The event 1 is the event concerning at t1=2 sec. Then x1 (distance between O and A, measured by O) is 200,000 Km. I don´think that x1=0. This value was not the value when the event 1 had occured.

Physics news on Phys.org
Paulo Figueiredo said:
Let's see: O and A are initially in the same place (t=t'=x=x'=0). Correct? Then A moves with a velocity c/3. It was as if O moves farway from A at that velocity. The event 1 is the event concerning at t1=2 sec. Then x1 (distance between O and A, measured by O) is 200,000 Km. I don´think that x1=0. This value was not the value when the event 1 had occured.

Event 1 is O emitting the signal. ##x_1## is the location of the event, not the position of A. So, ##x_1 = 0##. This is in O's frame. You could use the Lorentz Transformation to get the coordinate of Event 1 in A's frame, which would be ##x'_1 = \gamma(x_1 - vt_1) = -\gamma vt_1##.

Likes Paulo Figueiredo
PeroK said:
Event 1 is O emitting the signal. ##x_1## is the location of the event, not the position of A. So, ##x_1 = 0##. This is in O's frame. You could use the Lorentz Transformation to get the coordinate of Event 1 in A's frame, which would be ##x'_1 = \gamma(x_1 - vt_1) = -\gamma vt_1##.
You are right. Now I understand my error.
Thank you very much.