Trying to understand terms in a problem

• I
  • Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of proving that two translates of a convex disc in the plane are non-crossing. The terms "non-crossing" and "non-connected" are defined in the problem and come from topology. The first step in solving this problem would be to understand the definitions of these terms and have a solid understanding of topology. This problem is not considered easy and further assistance may be needed.
Mr Davis 97
Here is the problem: Let ##C## be a convex disc in the plane, and ##C_1## and ##C_2## be two translates of ##C##. Prove that ##C_1## and ##C_2## are non-crossing, that is, it isn't possible that both ##C_1 - C_2## and ##C_2 - C_1## are non-connected.

Here is my question: What exactly do the terms "non-crossing" and "non-connected" mean? Are these terms coming from topology?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Crossing is defined in your problem.

Connectedness is indeed a term from topology. A topological space ##(X, \mathcal{T})## is connected if the only clopen (= both closed and open) sets are ##\emptyset## and ##X##. Or equivalently, ##X## is not a disjoint union of two (non-trivial) open sets.

So as someone who has a limited understanding of topology, what would be a hint or a first step for this?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So as someone who has a limited understanding of topology, what would be a hint or a first step for this?

How does your book define disk?

A convex disc is any compact, convex set with non-empty interior

Math_QED said:
How does your book define disk?
Any hints? I feel for someones who knows topology this would be an easy problem

Mr Davis 97 said:
Any hints? I feel for someones who knows topology this would be an easy problem

It isn't an easy problem. I can't find a quick proof for your statement. Maybe ask to the person who assigned you this problem. Good luck.

1. What is the first step in understanding terms in a problem?

The first step in understanding terms in a problem is to carefully read and analyze the problem statement. Pay attention to any keywords or phrases that may indicate what the problem is asking for.

2. How can I identify important terms in a problem?

Look for terms that are specific and relevant to the problem. These may include numbers, units of measurement, or key concepts related to the problem.

3. What should I do if I encounter unfamiliar terms in a problem?

If you come across unfamiliar terms, try to look them up in a dictionary or online. If that is not possible, try to break down the term into smaller parts and see if you can make any connections to other terms or concepts you are familiar with.

4. Why is it important to understand the terms in a problem?

Understanding the terms in a problem is crucial because it allows you to accurately interpret the problem and determine the appropriate approach or solution. It also helps you avoid making mistakes or misinterpreting the problem.

5. How can I improve my understanding of terms in a problem?

One way to improve your understanding of terms in a problem is to practice regularly with different types of problems. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with a particular concept or term.