Trying to work out the speed of a relativistic electron

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Elfrae
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have a relativistic electron with energy 10^10 eV and I want to work out its speed. I'm not told if that's total energy or just kinetic energy - which is the sensible assumption to make?


Homework Equations



(E_tot)^2 = p^2*c^2 + m0^2*c^4

p = gamma*mv

gamma = sqrt(1/1-beta^2)

beta = v/c

The Attempt at a Solution



I tried rearranging the above equations to get an expression for v, but I keep getting stupid answers (v = c, v > c).

I have converted the energy into J and assumed that it is the total energy. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That's the total energy, which is much greater than the rest energy, so your answer should come out very close to c. I suggest you calculate the velocity using β=pc/E. You also might want to use a binomial expansion to approximate p since m0<<E.
 
I think that it is better to try this (not to use p, almost the same as vela wrote)
[tex]E = {\gamma}mc^2 = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{v^2}{c^2}=1- \frac{{E_0}^2}{E^2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{v}{c}=\sqrt{1- \frac{{E_0}^2}{E^2}} \approx 1-\frac{1}{2} \frac{{E_0}^2}{E^2}[/tex]
 
Last edited: