1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to work out the speed of a relativistic electron

1. May 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a relativistic electron with energy 10^10 eV and I want to work out its speed. I'm not told if that's total energy or just kinetic energy - which is the sensible assumption to make?

2. Relevant equations

(E_tot)^2 = p^2*c^2 + m0^2*c^4

p = gamma*mv

gamma = sqrt(1/1-beta^2)

beta = v/c

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried rearranging the above equations to get an expression for v, but I keep getting stupid answers (v = c, v > c).

I have converted the energy into J and assumed that it is the total energy. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's the total energy, which is much greater than the rest energy, so your answer should come out very close to c. I suggest you calculate the velocity using β=pc/E. You also might want to use a binomial expansion to approximate p since m0<<E.

4. May 23, 2010 #3
    I think that it is better to try this (not to use p, almost the same as vela wrote)
    [tex] E = {\gamma}mc^2 = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{v^2}{c^2}=1- \frac{{E_0}^2}{E^2}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{v}{c}=\sqrt{1- \frac{{E_0}^2}{E^2}} \approx 1-\frac{1}{2} \frac{{E_0}^2}{E^2}[/tex]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook