Tunneling through possible worlds

• B
  • Thread starter TunnelingthuWorlds
  • Start date
  • Tags
    qm tunneling
In summary, the article discusses whether it is possible to quantum tunnel across possible worlds, and provides a high school level book review of an accessible book about quantum mechanics that oversimplifies the concept.
TunnelingthuWorlds
TL;DR Summary
Hyper-dimensionality in MWI
Forgive my poor lingo. As my bio states, I only have a complete degree in HS.

Is it possible to quantum tunnel across possible worlds?

If so, is there a hyper-dimensional plane where this would be made possible?

And if so, how would you conceptualize or describe it?

Information breakage should not be an issue if in a 4D-plane they such system would both occupy?

I should be more specific and state that this all hypothetically may occur in the MWI...

Physics news on Phys.org
TunnelingthuWorlds said:
Is it possible to quantum tunnel across possible worlds?
No.
When people use the word “world” in talking about quantum mechanics and the MWI, they mean something altogether different from what the word means in ordinary English usage.

Last edited:
Nugatory said:
No.
When people use the word “world” in talking about quantum mechanics and the MWI, they mean something altogether different from what the word means in ordinary English usage.
Can you tell me that is a qubit is working on a quantum task, all qubits in other worlds respectively are also doing the same task?

TunnelingthuWorlds said:
Can you tell me that is a qubit is working on a quantum task, all qubits in other worlds respectively are also doing the same task?
That's not how quantum computers work so that question (which appears unrelated to your original question) has no sensible answer.

The question in the original post of this thread has been answered so this thread is closed.

@TunnelingthuWorlds, your bio says that you are currently an undergrad, so you may be taking a course in quantum mechanics in the next year or so. When you do, you'll have a much better sense of what QM and the MWI really are. Sadly, most of what you'll read outside of textbooks and the professional literature is oversimplified to the point of being misleading.

If you don't want to wait, Giancarlo Ghirardi's book "Sneaking a look at God's cards" is a good high-school level way of approaching QM. It oversimplifies, but much less then any of th popularizations you'll find out there.

Likes berkeman

1. What is "Tunneling through possible worlds"?

"Tunneling through possible worlds" is a concept in theoretical physics that describes the idea of traveling between parallel universes or alternate realities.

2. How is "Tunneling through possible worlds" possible?

According to quantum mechanics, particles have a probability of existing in multiple places at once. This allows for the possibility of "tunneling" through barriers and into other universes.

3. Are there any real-world applications for "Tunneling through possible worlds"?

Currently, there are no known practical applications for "tunneling through possible worlds". However, some scientists believe that further research into this concept could lead to advancements in quantum computing and communication.

4. Can humans actually "Tunnel through possible worlds"?

As of now, there is no evidence to suggest that humans are capable of traveling between parallel universes. The concept of "tunneling through possible worlds" is still largely theoretical and requires further research and experimentation.

5. What are some potential implications of "Tunneling through possible worlds"?

If the concept of "tunneling through possible worlds" is proven to be possible, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and could potentially open up new possibilities for space travel and exploration.