Twin turbo intercooler pipe merge using air ejector design

In summary, the air ejector design should be able to achieve maximum mixing of the air and no air will flow backwards out the second turbo.
V8KILR
I'm converting my turbo system from a single turbo to a sequential twin turbo system. Where the two turbos intercooler pipes join, the flow from the first turbo to spool can easily reverse back through the second turbo to spool, unless you have a one way valve like a swing check valve to stop this happening.

What I would like to do is eliminate the swing check valve by using an air ejector design with the first turbo's intercooler pipe to stop the flow reversing back through the second turbo's intercooler pipe. Here is a diagram I have done.

pipes.jpg

Could this design work such that at all stages of both turbos boost from vacuum to full boost, there would be no flow backwards to the second turbo?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Google "twin turbo merger" and you will see plenty of smooth transitions into the throttle/carb. If you have similar turbos being fed by equal banks of exhaust the rest of it "will work itself out".

MergePipe003_zpsf501868d.jpg

580879700_A7anx-M.jpg

This is a sequential twin turbo setup I am doing which means one turbo makes boost first while the other one is making no boost. The pic you show is one of the better designs, but I still don't think that I can merge the intercooler pipes like your pic shows otherwise the boost from the first turbo will still partly flow back out the second turbo (as it is making no flow or boost) instead of it all going out through the intercooler. This is because the flow path back out through the second turbo presents less resistance to the first turbos boosted air then going through the intercooler does.

What the air ejector method should do is turbulently mix the air from the first turbo (which is at high speed and pressure) with the atmospheric pressure air in the second turbo intercooler pipe. This mixing should impart forward velocity to the second turbos static air resulting in it also moving towards the intercooler, albeit at a slower speed. The more mixing that occurs, the better this idea will work and the less chance that any air will flow backwards out the second turbo.

That's why I'm hoping someone with more maths skills then me can help work out (or point me in the right direction) if my idea of using an air ejector design for the pipe merging will achieve maximum mixing of the air and result in no air ever flowing backwards out the second turbo.

Last edited:
A check valve should work for the intake.
draw_disc_check_valve.jpg

This should solve the exhaust part.
power_cut_out_trimmed.jpg

The EGCV (exhaust gas control valve) design I like the best is this one as it is boost activated, but unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment.

ATP-ACS-010_450.jpg

The intake check valve design I like the best is this one. It is a swing check valve so should have very little flow resistance.

seq9.jpg

I'd still like to be able to have the intercooler pipe merging done so that there is no need for the swing check valve though, and I still think that the air ejector design should be able to achieve that.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am not sure if this will help at all but there is a company that manufacture diesel engine charge air coolers, you should try Vestas aircoil A/S in Denmark (www.vestas-aircoil.com)

What is a twin turbo intercooler pipe merge using air ejector design?

A twin turbo intercooler pipe merge using air ejector design is a type of intercooler system used in turbocharged engines. It utilizes an air ejector to create a vacuum that pulls air through the intercooler, cooling the compressed air from the turbochargers before it enters the engine. This helps improve engine performance and efficiency.

How does a twin turbo intercooler pipe merge using air ejector design work?

The air ejector uses the Venturi effect to increase the velocity of air passing through it, creating a low pressure area that pulls air through the intercooler. This air is then compressed and cooled before entering the engine, resulting in improved engine performance.

What are the benefits of using a twin turbo intercooler pipe merge using air ejector design?

The use of an air ejector in this type of intercooler system can lead to increased engine power, better fuel efficiency, and reduced turbo lag. It also allows for a more compact intercooler design, making it suitable for use in smaller engine compartments.

Are there any disadvantages to using a twin turbo intercooler pipe merge using air ejector design?

One potential disadvantage is that it may require additional space in the engine compartment for the air ejector and intercooler, which could be a limitation in some vehicles. Additionally, if not designed and installed properly, it may not provide significant improvements in engine performance.

Can a twin turbo intercooler pipe merge using air ejector design be used in all types of engines?

While this type of intercooler system can be beneficial for most turbocharged engines, it may not be suitable for all types. It is important to consider the specific engine and vehicle requirements, as well as consult with a professional, before deciding to install a twin turbo intercooler pipe merge using air ejector design.