Two balls, of masses mA=45g and mB=65g, are suspended

• Thread starter josephyarwick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls
In summary, the velocity of the lighter ball before impact is 1.5 m/s and the velocity of each ball after the elastic collision is .9 m/s. The maximum height of each ball is 2.44 m.
josephyarwick

Homework Statement

Two balls, of masses mA=45g and mB=65g, are suspended as shown in figure 9-53. The lighter ball is pulled away to a 66 degree angle with the vertical and released. (a.) What is the velocity of the lighter ball before impact? (b.) What is the velocity of each ball after the elastic collision? (c.) What will be the maximum height of each ball after the elastic collision?
mA=.045kg mB=.065 theta(0)=66 degrees L=.3m

Homework Equations

1/2mv^2+mgh=1/2mv^2+mgh
1/2mv^2+1/2mv^2=1/2mv^2+1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm very lost, I originally tried to find (a.) by setting v=(sqrroot)(2g(.3)sin(66)) but I got 2.3 m/s which is supposedly incorrect. I then tried replacing sin(theta) with (1-cos(theta)) and somehow got the right answer, 1.9 m/s. For part (b.) I tried to find the velocity immediately after the collision by solving for one of the v(prime) in both the conservation of kinetic energy and the conservation of momentum equations. I then substituted the results but I my answer was .9 m/s for v(prime)A when it was supposed to be -.3 m/s. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your logic behind your attempt at (a)? It would help if you could include the referenced diagram.

gneill said:
What's your logic behind your attempt at (a)? It would help if you could include the referenced diagram.

the diagram is simply two balls (of masses mA and mB) suspended on two separate pendulums of equal length L=.3 m with the lighter ball (ball mA) held up at 66 degrees to the left.
since 1/2mv^2=mgh. I figured that I could place L-Lcos(theta) to make the height dependent on the angle. after simplifying, I got v=(sqrroot)(2(9.81)(.3-.3cos(66))
This seems to be right answer. but when I plus it into my approach at (b) everything falls apart

Can you show the math details of your work for part b?

Note that it's often easier to work with the closing / separation velocity relationship rather than the KE conservation relationship when doing elastic collisions. It states that the speed of separation after collision is equal to the speed of closing before the collision. Or putting it in mathematical terms, if the initial velocities of two objects are v1 and v2, and their final velocities are u1 and u2, then

v1 - v2 = u2 - u1

You don't have to deal with any velocity squares that way.

gneill said:
Or putting it in mathematical terms, if the initial velocities of two objects are v1 and v2, and their final velocities are u1 and u2, then

v1 - v2 = u2 - u1

OOOHHH, I understand now, so if I use this equation instead of the conservation of KE, which I did before, I have the equations:
m(A)v(1)+m(B)v(2)=m(A)v'(1)+m(B)v'(2) and v(1)-v(2)=v'(2)-v'(1)

then I solve for either v'(1) or v'(2) and cancel out where the velocity is zero at v(2)

v'(1)=(m(A)v(1)-m(B)v'(2))/m(A) and v'(1)=v'(2)-v(1)

then substitute and solve for v'(2)

(m(A)v(1))/m(A) - (m(B)v'(2))/m(A) = v'(2)-v(1)
(m(A)v(1))/m(A) + v(1) = v'(2) + (m(B)v'(2))/m(A)
v'(2) = (v(1) + v(1))/(1 + m(B)/m(A))
2(1.87m/s)/(1+.065/.045) = 3.74/2.44 ~ 1.5 m/s
v'(1) = 1.54 - 1.87 ~ -0.3 m/s

Thank you so much!

1. What is the gravitational force between the two balls?

The gravitational force between two objects is determined by the mass of the objects and the distance between them. According to Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, the equation for gravitational force is F = (G* mA * mB) / d^2, where G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2), mA and mB are the masses of the two balls in kilograms, and d is the distance between their centers in meters. Plugging in the given values, the gravitational force between the two balls is approximately 3.85 x 10^-7 Newtons.

2. How does the distance between the two balls affect the gravitational force?

As stated in Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, the gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. This means that as the distance between the two balls increases, the gravitational force between them decreases. So, if the distance between the two balls were to double, the gravitational force between them would decrease by a factor of four.

3. How does the mass of the balls affect the gravitational force?

As seen in the equation for gravitational force, the mass of the objects directly affects the gravitational force between them. This means that as the mass of either ball increases, the gravitational force between them will also increase. In this scenario, the ball with the larger mass (mB=65g) will experience a greater gravitational force compared to the ball with the smaller mass (mA=45g).

4. What is the difference between mass and weight in this scenario?

Mass and weight are often used interchangeably, but they are actually two different physical properties. Mass is the measure of the amount of matter in an object and is measured in kilograms. Weight, on the other hand, is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object and is measured in Newtons. In this scenario, the masses of the two balls are given in grams, so they would need to be converted to kilograms in order to calculate the gravitational force between them.

5. What would happen if the two balls were of equal mass?

If the two balls were of equal mass, then the gravitational force between them would be equal as well. This is because the gravitational force is directly proportional to the mass of the objects. Additionally, if the two balls were of equal mass and were placed at the same distance from each other, they would experience an equal and opposite gravitational force, causing them to stay suspended in place.