Two capacitors with opposite terminals connected together

• Thread starter carlyn medona
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitors
In summary, when a 5μF capacitor is charged to 24V and another 6μF capacitor is charged to 12V, and then the positive plate of one capacitor is connected to the negative plate of the other and vice versa, the new charges on each capacitor will be 21.8μC and 26.2μC respectively. This is due to the conservation of charge, where the net charge on the connected plates before and after the connection remains the same. However, the individual charge on each plate may change depending on the polarity of the connected plates.
carlyn medona

Homework Statement

A capacitor of 5μF is charged to 24V and another capacitor of capacitance 6μF is charged to 12V , the positive plate of first capacitor is now connected to negative plate of second and vice versa, find new charges on the capacitor

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found charge in each capacitor, I have no idea what to do next

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
what else the exercise asks for? From what you writing in problem statement that's all what we wish to find... I guess you didn't write the complete problem statement?

No I mean initial charge, before connection, then I thought charge would flow between the plates till potentials become equal, but answer I got does not match with solution

Note that the POSITIVE plate of one capacitor is connected to the NEGATIVE plate of the other.

carlyn medona said:
No I mean initial charge, before connection, then I thought charge would flow between the plates till potentials become equal, but answer I got does not match with solution
What can you say about the final voltages across the capacitors? What can you say about the polarities of the final voltages?

carlyn medona said:
Can you share more detail about what you actually did for this attempt? What were your thoughts about how the charge would flow? What calculations did you attempt and what were your results?

carlyn medona said:

Ok I see now. Your mistake is that the equilibrium state will be when the voltages will be opposite ##V_1=-V_2##. The condition ##V_1=V_2## is for when you connect the positive plate to the positive plate and the negative to the negative.​

Okay guys I solved it, thanks for helping, I got charge on first capacitor = 21.8μC and second capacitor to be equal to 26.2μC

carlyn medona said:
Okay guys I solved it, thanks for helping, I got charge on first capacitor = 21.8μC and second capacitor to be equal to 26.2μC
That's correct.

cnh1995 said:
That's correct.
Ok I suppose its correct (seems to be an equilibrium state since the new voltages are equal), but someone explains me please why conservation of charge doesn't hold here. Charge before =120+72=192μC, charge after 21.8+26.2=48μC.

Delta² said:
Ok I suppose its correct, but someone explains me please why conservation of charge doesn't hold here. Charge before =120+72=192μC, charge after 21.8+26.2=48μC.
Conservation of charge holds.

When the plates are connected, one of the paired plates has a positive charge while the other a negative charge. This is true for both of the pairs that are connected. Unlike charges will meet and annihilate via the available conduction paths leaving the net sum the same, hence conservation of the net charge.

Note that (usually) on a charged capacitor the two plates carry equal but opposite charges. Hence the net charge on the device as a whole is zero. When we talk about the charge on a capacitor, we typically refer to the magnitude of the charge on one plate, since both plates have the same charge but of opposite sign. When charged capacitors are connected in parallel, the charges on the connected plates sum. If the charge signs are opposite, they will combine and cancel until no differently signed charges are left. Whatever un-combined charges are left represents the net remaining charge on that plate.

gneill said:
Conservation of charge holds.

When the plates are connected, one of the paired plates has a positive charge while the other a negative charge. This is true for both of the pairs that are connected. Unlike charges will meet and annihilate via the available conduction paths leaving the net sum the same, hence conservation of the net charge.

Note that (usually) on a charged capacitor the two plates carry equal but opposite charges. Hence the net charge on the device as a whole is zero. When we talk about the charge on a capacitor, we typically refer to the magnitude of the charge on one plate, since both plates have the same charge but of opposite sign. When charged capacitors are connected in parallel, the charges on the connected plates sum. If the charge signs are opposite, they will combine and cancel until no differently signed charges are left. Whatever un-combined charges are left represents the net remaining charge on that plate.
Sorry but you got me confused. Only definite conclusion I can make from your statements is that net (positive+negative) charge is zero before and is zero after in both capacitors. Ok in that sense, conservation of charge holds.

Ok I see now conservation of charge holds for the net charge of the plates that are connected (don't know if you actually was trying to say that). Since we connect the positive to negative and vice versa, charge before=120-72=48 (or 72-120=-48), charge after=48 (or -48 if we sum the charges on the other pair of connected plates that carry negative charges) as well.

Last edited:
Delta² said:
Ok I see now conservation of charge holds for the net charge of the plates that are connected (don't know if you actually was trying to say that). Since we connect the positive to negative and vice versa, charge before=120-72=48 (or 72-120=-48), charge after=48 (or -48 if we sum the charges on the other pair of connected plates that carry negative charges) as well.
Right.

1. What happens when two capacitors with opposite terminals are connected together?

When two capacitors with opposite terminals are connected together, they form a parallel circuit. This means that the voltage across each capacitor is the same and the total capacitance is the sum of the individual capacitances.

2. How does the total capacitance of the two capacitors change when they are connected together?

The total capacitance of the two capacitors increases when they are connected together in parallel. This is because the two capacitances are added together, resulting in a larger overall capacitance.

3. Does the charge stored in each capacitor change when they are connected together?

Yes, the charge stored in each capacitor will change when they are connected together. This is because the total capacitance increases, so the voltage across each capacitor remains the same but the charge on each capacitor increases.

4. How does the voltage across each capacitor change when they are connected together?

The voltage across each capacitor remains the same when they are connected together. This is because they are connected in parallel and the voltage across each component in a parallel circuit is the same.

5. Can two capacitors with opposite terminals be connected together in series?

No, two capacitors with opposite terminals cannot be connected together in series. This is because the voltage across each capacitor in a series circuit is different, and in order for the capacitors to be connected in series, they must have the same voltage across them.