1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two carts on a frictionless AIR Track held together then released with a sping.

1. Jun 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two carts 'a' and 'b' are floating on a frictionless air-track and are stationary. 'a' is three times the mass of 'b'. They are being held together and there is a spring between them. The carts are released. Describe what happens after the release.

2. Relevant equations
    Im guessing the usual Kinetic Energy equations are relevant here

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well not sure if i am on to something but cart B will definitely go further than cart A as it weighs less and the acceleration of Cart B will be significantly quicker too. But i am confused with the forces acting on them in this situation. It says to describe only but want to know a bit more detail if possible.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2012 #2

sas3

Gold Member

I am very tired and read this message as "two (cats) on a frictionless AIR Track held together then released with a spring", and had a good laugh, thinking if they were alive or dead.

LOL

4. Jun 5, 2012 #3
    I thought i had misspelled something for a second :p

5. Jun 5, 2012 #4

sas3

Gold Member

You did "spring" not sping.

Oh, Carts not Cats..... LOL

I suppose none of this is helping to answer your questions though.....sorry about that.
    Of-coarse it is getting your question viewed by bumping it up in the new messages.

6. Jun 5, 2012 #5
    You could apply conservation of momentum here. Also, that whole 'for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction' thing could help with figuring out the forces on each.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook