A Two Covariant Derivatives (Chain Rule)?

Summary
Failed find information on the internet, really appreciate any help.
Summary: Failed find information on the internet, really appreciate any help.

Can someone tell me what is ∇ϒδ𝒆β? It seems to be equal to 𝒆μΓμβδ,ϒ+(𝒆νΓνμϒμβδ. Is this some sort of chain rule or is it by any means called anything?

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
What do you get when you try to compute it yourself?

What do you get when you try to compute it yourself?
At first look I just get the second term, so still trying to figure out where went wrong..

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Please show your work.

Please show your work.
Okay I think where went wrong is I need to expand ∇ϒ(𝒆μΓμβδ), which now looks like something to apply chain rule to, and if I do that I get the answer except shouldn't the first term be 𝒆μΓμβδ;ϒ? The "," stands for partial derivative?

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Yes, the , stands for a regular partial derivative. You are here including the basis vector ##e_\mu## in your notation. When you do that you are using a notation where anything multiplying it is just a scalar function. It holds that ##\nabla_a e_b = \Gamma_{ab}^c e_c## by definition. The covariant derivative is linear and satisfies the product rule (this is not chain rule)
$$
\nabla_a (fV) = V \nabla_a f + f \nabla_a V,
$$
where ##f## is a scalar field and ##V## is a vector. Note that ##\nabla_a f = \partial_a f## for any scalar field. In your case, therefore
$$
\nabla_a(\Gamma^c_{bd}e_c) = \Gamma^c_{bd} \nabla_a e_c + e_c \nabla_a \Gamma^c_{bd}
= \Gamma^c_{bd} \Gamma^f_{ac} e_f + e_c \Gamma^c_{bd,a}.
$$

Do not confuse this notation with the usual notation without writing out the vector basis, where we typically use the convention
$$
\nabla_a V^b \equiv (\nabla_a V)^b,
$$
i.e., the LHS is defined as the ##b##-component of ##\nabla_a V##. Actually writing out the basis in the RHS gives you
$$
(\nabla_a V)^b = [\nabla_a (V^c e_c)]^b = [V^c \nabla_a e_c]^b + [e_c \nabla_a V^c]^b
= V^c [\Gamma^d_{ac} e_d]^b + [V^c_{,a} e_c]^b
= V^c \Gamma^b_{ac} + V^b_{,a},
$$
since ##[e_c]^b = \delta^b_c##.

Yes, the , stands for a regular partial derivative. You are here including the basis vector ##e_\mu## in your notation. When you do that you are using a notation where anything multiplying it is just a scalar function. It holds that ##\nabla_a e_b = \Gamma_{ab}^c e_c## by definition. The covariant derivative is linear and satisfies the product rule (this is not chain rule)
$$
$$
where ##f## is a scalar field and ##V## is a vector. Note that ##\nabla_a f = \partial_a f## for any scalar field. In your case, therefore
$$
\nabla_a(\Gamma^c_{bd}e_c) = \Gamma^c_{bd} \nabla_a e_c + e_c \nabla_a \Gamma^c_{bd}
$$

Do not confuse this notation with the usual notation without writing out the vector basis, where we typically use the convention
$$
$$
i.e., the LHS is defined as the ##b##-component of ##\nabla_a V##. Actually writing out the basis in the RHS gives you
$$
(\nabla_a V)^b = [\nabla_a (V^c e_c)]^b = [V^c \nabla_a e_c]^b + [e_c \nabla_a V^c]^b
$$
Okay cleared now, thanks much.

Last edited:
$$
$$
$$
$$

$$
$$
$$
$$
Btw oddly enough it is named "chain rule" in the Charles & Wheeler book..