Two dice problem, a lot of questions

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dice
In summary, the conversation discusses a game at a night festival where a vendor offers to double your money if you roll a two or one digit number over 55. The rules state that if a 00 or 55 is rolled, the vendor or player wins respectively. The questions ask about the probability of rolling the same number consecutively, rolling 55 or less consecutively, cheating the vendor, and the change in probabilities if the game is played with a computer generating random numbers. The strategy of doubling the bet after a loss is known as "Martingale." The probability of winning in this game is 45/100.
flyingpig
Suppose you are going to a night festival and you see a vendor who is willing to double your money. So he explains the game.

He has two dice, they are numbered from 0 to 9. He will roll them together in a slot such that they will make a two or one digit number. If he happens to roll a number over 55 (but not equal to), he returns your money and doubled it.

Here are some specific rules.

1. If he rolls a 00, you win.
2. If he rolls a 55, he wins
3. The dice are rolled in a slot, so 35 and 53 are distinguishable.

Now here are my questions.

1. What is the probability of the same number being rolled again? (i.e. rolling two number less than or equal to 55 consecutively)

2. What is the probablity of rolling 55 or less consecutively?

3. Can you come up with a way to cheat the vendor?

4. Suppose the two dice now disappear and now it is a computer generating random numbers from 1 to 100, how would that change? The specific rules still apply (other than 1 of course)Attempt

I think it is possible to cheat the vendor, I think it's disguising to think your chances of winning is 45/100, but really it is possible combinations

So let _ _ be the two digit places possible.

So the tenth place for the vendor to win could be

6 * 10 = 60

Because 0 to 5 have 6 digits and 10 for the other possible digits. Then subtract 1 in case we get 100

60 - 1 = 59

Then subtract 5 from 59, (to elimiante 56,57,58,59,60)

59 - 5 = 54

So the total combinations is still 100, but the vendor still has 54/100 chances of winning?

Would it mean that you only have 46/100 chances of winning? I think the best way to win is to double your loss.

Recovering from loss

Suppose you betted 100 tokens, you lose. So you bet again, 200 tokens. You then win, so the vendor gives back 400 tokens.

Now 400tokens you won - 100tokens you loss = 300 tokens

300tokens - 200tokens you gave the second time = 100 tokens.

So really you won 100 tokens? This is just an example.

Conditonal probablity?

Does that mean the vendor's chances of winning n times is

[tex]\frac{54^n}{100^n}[/tex]

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Assuming a uniform distribution for the number that rolls up on each die, the probability, of each two-digit number showing up would be equal. The probability of winning would be 45/100.

1. seems like two different things
2. for n consecutive times in n games:
[tex]\frac{56^n}{100^n}[/tex]
Solving for the probability of n consecutive times in more than n games is more difficult. I found http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/56637.html", which is relevant.
4. Win and lose probabilities wouldn't change.

As for doubling the bet after a loss, the strategy is known as "Martingale." There is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martingale_%28betting_system%29" .

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you get 45/100?

56 + 45 = 101?

For question 2 you asked "What is the probablity of rolling 55 or less consecutively?"

if you had written "What is the probability of rolling 55 or less, excluding 00, consecutively?" then I would have written 55 in my answer to question 2.

?I would like to clarify a few things about this game and address the questions raised.

First, the probability of rolling the same number again is not affected by the previous roll. Each roll is an independent event, so the probability remains the same for each subsequent roll.

Second, the probability of rolling 55 or less consecutively can be calculated by considering all possible combinations of two dice and counting the number of combinations that result in a number less than or equal to 55. This can be done by listing out all possible combinations or by using a mathematical formula such as the binomial coefficient.

Third, while it may be possible to come up with strategies to increase your chances of winning, it is important to remember that gambling is a game of chance and there is no guaranteed way to beat the odds. Additionally, cheating is not a ethically or morally acceptable solution.

Finally, if the game changes to a computer generating random numbers from 1 to 100, the probability calculations would change accordingly. The specific rules would still apply, but the number of possible outcomes and the probability of each outcome would be different. It is important to consider all possible outcomes and their associated probabilities in order to make informed decisions when playing this game.

What is the "Two dice problem"?

The "Two dice problem" is a mathematical problem that involves rolling two dice and calculating the probability of certain outcomes. It is commonly used to introduce concepts of probability and statistics.

How do you calculate the probability of rolling a specific number with two dice?

To calculate the probability of rolling a specific number, you can use the formula: P = (number of desired outcomes) / (total number of outcomes). For example, the probability of rolling a 7 with two dice is 6/36, or 1/6.

What is the difference between the sum and product rule in the "Two dice problem"?

The sum rule in the "Two dice problem" refers to calculating the probability of getting a certain sum, such as rolling a 7. The product rule refers to calculating the probability of getting a specific combination of numbers, such as rolling a 2 and a 5.

Can the "Two dice problem" be applied to other scenarios besides rolling dice?

Yes, the concepts and formulas used in the "Two dice problem" can be applied to other scenarios involving probability and statistics, such as drawing cards from a deck or flipping coins.

What is the significance of the "Two dice problem" in science?

The "Two dice problem" is important in science as it helps us understand and make predictions about random events. It is also used in various fields, such as genetics, to calculate the likelihood of certain outcomes.