Two Dimensional Kinematics probelms

• Thread starter riken9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary: You will get two times, one of which is negative and should be discarded. Then use y = yi + vyit + (1/2)ayt2 to find the final y-velocity. Finally, use the Pythagorean theorem to find the speed.For the second problem, you can use rf = ri + vt + (1/2)at2 to find the final position. Remember that the maximum x-coordinate will occur when the y-velocity is zero. Can you take it from there?In summary, for the first problem, the time should be solved separately for the x and y components of motion using appropriate equations, and then the final speed can be found using the Pythagorean theorem.
riken9

Homework Statement

1. At t = 0, a particle leaves the origin with a velocity of 9.0 m/s in the positive y direction and moves in the xy plane with a constant acceleration of (2.0i - 4.0j) m/s2. At the instant the x coordinate of the particle is 15 m, what is the speed of the particle?

2. A particle starts from the origin at t = 0 with a velocity of 6.0 m/s and moves in the xy plane with a constant acceleration of (-2.0 + 4.0 ) m/s2. At the instant the particle achieves its maximum positive x coordinate, how far is it from the origin?

Homework Equations

rf = ri + vt + 1/2at^2
vf = vi + at

The Attempt at a Solution

1. rf = ri + vt + 1/2at^2
t = 2.25 [seconds]

vf = (9j) + [2i - 4j)t

Sub t into there and i get 4 m/s But the answer is: 10 m/s

2. v(initial)=6i m/s
v(final)=?
a= (-2i + 4j) m/s^2
starts at coordinate (0,0)
need to find max x point

rf = 6i + [-1i + 2j]t^2

vf = vi + at
How do i find t if i don't have final velocity? Answer is: 20m.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, riken9. Welcome to PF!

For the first problem, your answer for the time is incorrect. Can you show your work so we can find the mistake?

For the second problem, there is not enough information given. Did they give you the direction of the velocity at t = 0? [EDIT: OK, it looks like from your work that the initial velocity is in the x direction. I think you will find things will be easier if you write out separate equations for the x and y components of the motion.]

for the first question rf = ri + vt + 1/2at^2, i did 15 = 0 + 9t - 2t^2 and got 2.25 seconds. I also tried 15 = 9j + [i - 2j]t^2 and got 1.27 seconds, which is also wrong.

And for the second problem i tried that still couldn't get it right.

riken9 said:
for the first question rf = ri + vt + 1/2at^2, i did 15 = 0 + 9t - 2t^2

In the above equation you have mixed together x quantities (blue) and y quantities (red). Instead, write out equations for just the x component of motion and separate equations for the y component of motion. For example

x = xi + vxit + (1/2)axt2

y = yi + vyit + (1/2)ayt2

or for velocity,

vx = vxi + axt

vy = vyi + ayt

So, try using x = xi + vxit + (1/2)axt2 to find the time for the first problem.

Last edited:

I would like to clarify some key concepts in solving these two dimensional kinematics problems. First, it is important to understand that the given acceleration vector (2.0i - 4.0j) m/s2 in problem 1 means that the particle is accelerating in the negative x direction and downward in the y direction. Similarly, in problem 2, the acceleration vector (-2.0i + 4.0j) m/s2 indicates acceleration in the negative x direction and upward in the y direction.

In order to solve problem 1, we can use the equations of motion to find the time it takes for the particle to reach the x coordinate of 15 m. Once we have the time, we can then use the velocity equation to find the final velocity of the particle. It is important to carefully consider the direction of the acceleration and velocity vectors in order to arrive at the correct answer.

For problem 2, we can use the same approach but instead of finding the final velocity, we need to find the maximum x coordinate of the particle. This can be done by setting the x component of the velocity equation to 0 and solving for time. Once we have the time, we can then use the position equation to find the x coordinate at that time.

In both problems, it is important to pay attention to units and to carefully substitute and manipulate equations in order to arrive at the correct answer. As a scientist, it is crucial to understand and apply the fundamental principles of kinematics in order to solve these types of problems accurately.

1. What is Two Dimensional Kinematics?

Two Dimensional Kinematics is the study of motion in two dimensions, taking into account both the horizontal and vertical components of an object's movement.

2. What are some common examples of Two Dimensional Kinematics problems?

Some common examples of Two Dimensional Kinematics problems include projectile motion, circular motion, and motion on an incline.

3. What is the difference between speed and velocity in Two Dimensional Kinematics?

Speed is a scalar quantity that measures the rate at which an object is moving, while velocity is a vector quantity that measures the rate and direction of an object's motion.

4. How do you calculate the displacement of an object in Two Dimensional Kinematics?

To calculate the displacement of an object in Two Dimensional Kinematics, you need to know the initial position, the final position, and the direction of the object's motion. Then, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the displacement and use trigonometric functions to determine the direction.

5. Can you use the same equations for Two Dimensional Kinematics as you would for One Dimensional Kinematics?

Yes, many of the equations used in One Dimensional Kinematics can also be applied to Two Dimensional Kinematics. However, you must consider both the horizontal and vertical components of motion separately and use vector addition to combine them.