1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Dimensional Kinematics probelms

1. Mar 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. At t = 0, a particle leaves the origin with a velocity of 9.0 m/s in the positive y direction and moves in the xy plane with a constant acceleration of (2.0i - 4.0j) m/s2. At the instant the x coordinate of the particle is 15 m, what is the speed of the particle?

2. A particle starts from the origin at t = 0 with a velocity of 6.0 m/s and moves in the xy plane with a constant acceleration of (-2.0 + 4.0 ) m/s2. At the instant the particle achieves its maximum positive x coordinate, how far is it from the origin?

2. Relevant equations

rf = ri + vt + 1/2at^2
    vf = vi + at

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. rf = ri + vt + 1/2at^2
    t = 2.25 [seconds]

vf = (9j) + [2i - 4j)t

Sub t into there and i get 4 m/s But the answer is: 10 m/s

2. v(initial)=6i m/s
    v(final)=?
    a= (-2i + 4j) m/s^2
    starts at coordinate (0,0)
    need to find max x point

rf = 6i + [-1i + 2j]t^2

vf = vi + at
    How do i find t if i don't have final velocity? Answer is: 20m.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, riken9. Welcome to PF!

For the first problem, your answer for the time is incorrect. Can you show your work so we can find the mistake?

For the second problem, there is not enough information given. Did they give you the direction of the velocity at t = 0? [EDIT: OK, it looks like from your work that the initial velocity is in the x direction. I think you will find things will be easier if you write out separate equations for the x and y components of the motion.]

4. Mar 9, 2013 #3
    for the first question rf = ri + vt + 1/2at^2, i did 15 = 0 + 9t - 2t^2 and got 2.25 seconds. I also tried 15 = 9j + [i - 2j]t^2 and got 1.27 seconds, which is also wrong.

And for the second problem i tried that still couldn't get it right.

5. Mar 9, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the above equation you have mixed together x quantities (blue) and y quantities (red). Instead, write out equations for just the x component of motion and separate equations for the y component of motion. For example

x = xi + vxit + (1/2)axt2

y = yi + vyit + (1/2)ayt2

or for velocity,

vx = vxi + axt

vy = vyi + ayt

So, try using x = xi + vxit + (1/2)axt2 to find the time for the first problem.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted