Two general questions about differential equations.

• Thread starter AdrianZ
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I'm currently studying ODE's from Boyce's 'Elementary differential equations and Boundary value problems', It's a good book and it also explains some physical applications of differential equations, but I'm looking for a book that its main topic is about how to write differential equations for various mathematical modelings of physical situations. I'd like to know more about ' the applications of ODE's ' and I'm looking for a book that is more application oriented.

my next question is what prerequisites I need to know before I can understand a book about PDE's.

Thanks in advance.

Answers and Replies

No ideas?

Have you tried 'Differential Equations' by Simmons? It's a good book & contains many problems in physics.
For a course in PDEs, you must be familiar with calculus of several variables & a little functional analysis.

Have you tried 'Differential Equations' by Simmons? It's a good book & contains many problems in physics.
For a course in PDEs, you must be familiar with calculus of several variables & a little functional analysis.
Do you mean "Differential equations (with applications and historical notes)" by George f. Simmons published by McGraw-Hill?

Do I need to know multi-variable Real Analysis? I mean I've already read Rudin's mathematical analysis to the end of Chapter 5. am I prepared or I need to study next chapters too before I can understand PDE's?