Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two general questions about differential equations.

1. Oct 15, 2011 #1
    I'm currently studying ODE's from Boyce's 'Elementary differential equations and Boundary value problems', It's a good book and it also explains some physical applications of differential equations, but I'm looking for a book that its main topic is about how to write differential equations for various mathematical modelings of physical situations. I'd like to know more about ' the applications of ODE's ' and I'm looking for a book that is more application oriented.

my next question is what prerequisites I need to know before I can understand a book about PDE's.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2011 #2
    No ideas?

4. Oct 18, 2011 #3
    Have you tried 'Differential Equations' by Simmons? It's a good book & contains many problems in physics.
    For a course in PDEs, you must be familiar with calculus of several variables & a little functional analysis.

5. Oct 18, 2011 #4
    Do you mean "Differential equations (with applications and historical notes)" by George f. Simmons published by McGraw-Hill?

Do I need to know multi-variable Real Analysis? I mean I've already read Rudin's mathematical analysis to the end of Chapter 5. am I prepared or I need to study next chapters too before I can understand PDE's?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook