Two identical forces on two different masses....

In summary, the conversation was about correcting an incorrect equation involving masses and ratios. The expert advised to write an equation for m1 in terms of m2 and then substitute for m1 or m2 to solve for the ratio. The correct ratio was found to be 2:1, with the mass that is double the size accelerating at half the speed of the smaller mass.
EthanVandals
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework forums.
Here is all the work I have done so far (hopefully it is right). My brain somewhat shuts down when it comes to ratios.
sv5B5Ds.png

Physics news on Phys.org
no, that equation is not right. Identify which mass is m1 and which is m2, then one mass is twice the other. Correct your equation accordingly, then solve for the ratio.

You wrote:
m1a1 = m2a2
2m1a1 = m2a2

Those two equations contradict each other. Why don't you write an equation for m1 in terms of m2. Then you can substitute for m1 or m2 into the first equation above.

P.S. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Edit: Sorry PhantomJay. I just now saw your post.

TomHart said:
You wrote:
m1a1 = m2a2
2m1a1 = m2a2

Those two equations contradict each other. Why don't you write an equation for m1 in terms of m2. Then you can substitute for m1 or m2 into the first equation above.

P.S. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Edit: Sorry PhantomJay. I just now saw your post.
So something more like this then? I got this far, then got confused again as to what kind of ratio I'm supposed to get since I'm not given any values. If I divided by M2, then it would give me (2)A1=A2...so is that saying that the mass that is double the size of the other one is going to accelerate at half the speed of the smaller mass? And would the ratio then be 2:1? Thanks for all your help! :)

EDIT: I'm not sure why my new work isn't showing up...The basics are that I set M1=(2)M2, therefore (2)M2A1=M2A2.

http://imgur.com/a/XdNIG

Likes TomHart
EthanVandals said:
The basics are that I set M1=(2)M2, therefore (2)M2A1=M2A2.

Edit: Sorry, I read your edit and missed above it. You got the ratio right: 2:1

1. How does the magnitude of the forces affect the acceleration of the masses?

The acceleration of the masses is directly proportional to the magnitude of the forces applied. This means that if the magnitude of the forces increases, the acceleration of the masses will also increase.

2. What is the relationship between the masses and the acceleration in this scenario?

In this scenario, the acceleration of the masses is inversely proportional to their masses. This means that if one mass is increased, the acceleration will decrease, and vice versa.

3. Can the forces be in opposite directions and still have the same effect?

Yes, the forces can be in opposite directions and still have the same effect on the masses. This is because the magnitude of the forces is more important in determining the acceleration, rather than the direction.

4. How does the distance between the masses affect the forces?

The distance between the masses has an inverse square relationship with the force. This means that as the distance between the masses increases, the force decreases, and vice versa.

5. Is the direction of the forces important in this scenario?

In this scenario, the direction of the forces is not as important as the magnitude. As long as the forces are equal in magnitude, the direction will not affect the acceleration of the masses.