1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two independent particles in an infinite square well

1. May 3, 2015 #1

Maylis

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2015-5-3_22-26-25.png

2. Relevant equations
    upload_2015-5-3_22-26-39.png
    upload_2015-5-3_22-26-55.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    a) For this part, I know for distinguishable particles, the expectation value of the square distance

$$\langle (x_{1}^{2} - x_{2}^{2}) \rangle = \langle x^{2} \rangle_{2} + \langle x^{2} \rangle_{3} - 2 \langle x \rangle_{2} \langle x \rangle_{3}$$

This just gets really ugly...
    $$\langle x^{2} \rangle_{2} = \int \psi_{2}^{*}x^{2}\psi_{2} dx = \frac {2}{a} \int x^{2} sin^{2}\Big (\frac {2 \pi}{a} x \Big ) dx $$
    Using the equation given in the problem (is that even right? It seems suspicious that it is independent of ##n##)
    $$\langle x^{2} \rangle_{2} = \frac {2}{a} \Big [ \frac {\pi^{3}}{6} - \frac {\pi}{4(\frac {2 \pi}{a})^{2}} \Big ] $$
    $$\langle x^{2} \rangle_{2} = \frac {2}{a} \Big [ \frac {\pi^{3}}{6} - \frac {a^{2}}{16 \pi} \Big ] $$
    $$ = \frac {\pi^{3}}{3a} - \frac {a}{8 \pi} $$

Similarly for ##\langle x^{2} \rangle_{3}##
    $$\langle x^{2} \rangle_{3} = \frac {2}{a} \Big [ \frac {\pi^{3}}{6} - \frac {\pi}{4(\frac {3 \pi}{a})^{2}} \Big ]$$
    $$\langle x^{2} \rangle_{3} = \frac {2}{a} \Big [ \frac {\pi^{3}}{6} - \frac {a^{2}}{36 \pi} \Big ] $$
    $$=\frac {\pi^{3}}{3a} - \frac {a}{18 \pi}$$

For ##\langle x \rangle_{2}##
    $$\langle x \rangle_{2} = \int \psi_{2}^{*}x \psi_{2} dx$$
    $$\langle x \rangle_{2} = \frac {2}{a} \int x sin^{2}(\frac {2 \pi}{a} x) dx $$
    From the equation given in the problem statement
    $$\langle x \rangle_{2} = \frac {2}{a} \frac {\pi^{2}}{4} = \frac {\pi^{2}}{2a} $$
    The same goes for ##\langle x \rangle_{3}##
    $$\langle x \rangle_{3} = \frac {2}{a} \int x sin^{2}(\frac {3 \pi}{a} x) dx$$
    $$\langle x \rangle_{3} = \frac {2}{a} \frac {\pi^{2}}{4} = \frac {\pi^{2}}{2a}$$

$$\langle (x_{1}^{2} - x_{2}^{2}) \rangle = \langle x^{2} \rangle_{2} + \langle x^{2} \rangle_{3} - 2 \langle x \rangle_{2} \langle x \rangle_{3}$$
    $$\langle (x_{1}^{2} - x_{2}^{2}) \rangle = \Big (\frac {\pi^{3}}{3a} - \frac {a}{8 \pi} \Big ) + \Big (\frac {\pi^{3}}{3a} - \frac {a}{18 \pi} \Big ) - 2 \Big (\frac {\pi^{2}}{2a} \Big ) \Big ( \frac {\pi^{2}}{2a} \Big ) $$
    $$\langle (x_{1}^{2} - x_{2}^{2}) \rangle = \frac {2 \pi^{3}}{3a} - \frac {13a}{72 \pi} - \frac {\pi^{4}}{2a^{2}} $$
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (b) For this problem, I am basically looking at this webpage
    http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/252/symmetry/Symmetry.html

symmetric:
    $$\psi_{23} (x_{1},x_{2}) = A sin \Big (\frac {2 \pi}{a} x_{1} \Big ) cos \Big (\frac {3 \pi}{a} x_{2} \Big ) $$
    Not sure how to get A, but anyways
    For symmetric
    $$ \psi_{23}^{S} = \frac {1}{\sqrt{2}} \Big [ sin \Big (\frac {2 \pi}{a} x_{1} \Big ) cos \Big (\frac {3 \pi}{a} x_{2} \Big ) +sin \Big (\frac {3 \pi}{a} x_{1} \Big ) cos \Big (\frac {2 \pi}{a} x_{2} \Big ) \Big ]$$

For antisymmetric
    $$ \psi_{23}^{A} = \frac {1}{\sqrt{2}} \Big [ sin \Big (\frac {2 \pi}{a} x_{1} \Big ) cos \Big (\frac {3 \pi}{a} x_{2} \Big ) - sin \Big (\frac {3 \pi}{a} x_{1} \Big ) cos \Big (\frac {2 \pi}{a} x_{2} \Big ) \Big ] $$

This is slightly different from my notes, which had two sine terms instead of a cosine term, and I am not sure if that is because this time it has electrons. I am just so confused...
    upload_2015-5-3_23-57-20.png
    upload_2015-5-3_23-57-38.png

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For part (a), note that your potential well extends from x = 0 to x = a. Thus, you will integrate from x = 0 to x = a. Note, though, that Griffiths' integrals extend from 0 to ##\pi##. So, a change of integration variable will be required if you want to use Griffiths' integrals.

For part (b), the website that you link to assumes that the well extends from x = -L/2 to x = L/2. That causes some of the wavefunctions to be cosine functions. But, in your case where the well extends from x = 0 to x = a, all of the wavefunctions will be sine functions.

4. May 3, 2015 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The answer you got in part (a) can't be correct because the units don't work out.

You should review how to construct the symmetric and antisymmetric spatial wave functions. It's pretty straightforward how to do so. You shouldn't need to copy a result off of a webpage.

5. May 3, 2015 #4

Maylis

Gold Member

I just posted my new work since writing out all the latex and editing it until it is right can take over an hour. But for part (a), I got

$$\langle (x_{1} - x_{2})^{2} \rangle = \frac {a^{2}}{27} - \frac {5a^{2}}{72 \pi^{2}}$$

At least the units are correct for this answer
    ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1430714949.829527.jpg

(b) for part i. and ii.
    upload_2015-5-4_12-56-20.png

part iii. looks mathematically brutal =(

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  6. May 4, 2015 #5

Maylis

Gold Member

Is this the correct integral to evaluate for part iii? This looks brutal

upload_2015-5-4_13-25-13.png

Attached Files:

7. May 4, 2015 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't believe your answer is correct. Note, for example, that in calculating ##\left <x^2 \right >_2## your change of variable led to an integral from 0 to ##2 \pi##. But Griffiths' integrals are from 0 to ##\pi##.

8. May 4, 2015 #7

Maylis

Gold Member

True, but that's why I just multiplied by 2, because the function is even, so I should be able to just double my answer, and mulitplied by 3 for the integral from 0 to ##3 \pi##

9. May 4, 2015 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

According to Mathematica, the expectation value in part (i) works out to ##\frac{a^2}{6}\left(1-\frac{13}{12\pi^2}\right)##.

10. May 4, 2015 #9

Maylis

Gold Member

Then it has something to do with my limits of integration. I went to the prof's office hours and he said to just double what you would get integrating from 0 to pi since it is an even function. I assumed the same for tripling.

11. May 4, 2015 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your prof must not have looked at your integral carefully. Changing Griffiths' limits of [0, ##\pi##] to [0, ## 2\pi##] will not double the result. A sketch of the integrand would help see that. I agree with vela's result (also using Mathematica).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted