Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two independent random vectors are almost surely non-orthogonal

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    Hi all,

I got stuck with the following problem:

Let X, Y and Z be three random vectors of the same length drawn from a continuous random distribution.

where
    Z is independent of X and Y but [itex]Y=f(X)[/itex] with a non-linear function [itex]f[/itex].

Can I claim that:

1. [itex]Z^{T}X\neq 0[/itex] almost surely (i.e., vector X wouldn't almost surely lay on the null space of vector Z),

or

2. [itex]Y^{T}X= 0[/itex] almost surely (i.e., vector X would almost surely lay on the null space of vector Y).

If so, could you give me a hint to the proof or a citation.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Hussein

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2
    What do you mean by a random distribution? Are you randomly selecting from a set of distributions? Individual probability distributions are described by functions which are not themselves random. That is, their parameters are specified. Secondly, if three vectors are randomly selected from a population with a known or unknown probability distribution, how do two of these vectors (X and Y) come to be related by a non linear function? I assume you're talking about a population of three component vectors, all of the same length and sharing the same vector space.

I do agree that if you randomly select three vectors from a population where the orientations are randomly distributed on a continuous distribution, the probability that they would be orthogonal is zero. The probability of an exact value on a continuous distribution is zero by the definition of a continuum, in this case: all real numbers on the interval [0,1]. The same would be true for any pair from {X,Y,Z}.

EDIT: If you are talking about three random vectors in a 2-space, then only 2 vectors can be mutually orthogonal, the third being a linear combination of the other two. Was that part of your question?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook