1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two lense system - Homemade spyglass.

1. Dec 13, 2009 #1
    Hello.

This is my first time posting here, so bare with me. I am from Denmark and I am at my final year of what corresponds to Senior High School. I am currently working on a project about "optical instruments" in physics (I was told that our A level corresponded to your applied physics level). I'ts the biggest project we do the entire year, so I am a little stressed about it. Anyway, sorry for the introduction.

My question is regarding the path of light and the forming of a picture in a dobble lense system. Part of my assignment was to build my own spyglass. So the system in question consist of: One objective lense with a focal lenght of 30 cm and an ocular lense with a focal lengt of 5 cm. Both lenses have the same size. I know that, when looking at an object through the spyglass i have to ajust the objective lense in order to get a sharp image. But it is unclear to me, what exactlay happens with the lights path when i ajust the distance between the objective- and ocular lenses. I mean, in order to get a sharp image of an object at different distances i have to just the spyglass, but why is that?

2. Relevant equations
    The magnification of the spyglass is given by f1/f2 = 30/5 = 6x times.
    (Not really sure if any equations is needed for me question)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Not sure. Maybe it have something to do with the fact that, the longer the object is away to smaller the viewing angle gets. Atlest thats the only connection i can find.

I guess, what i am basicly asking is: What exactly happens inside the spyglass when I adjust the lenght between the lenses in order to get a sharp image?

Sorry for the long post, i hope you can bare with me. Also i appologize now, if this forum is not intendeed for these sort of questions. Feel free to ask anything, I can provide more information if needed. Thank you for taking your time.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

There is a slight difference depending if you have a 30cm convex and a 5cm concave (as Galileo) or two convex (as Kepler)
    Either way it's easy to trace the rays with high school level optics (wiki geometrical optics)

For an object at a very large distance (like a planet) then there is a simple correct location of the lenses which gives you a parallel beams out, that is an image at infinity for an object at infinity

4. Dec 13, 2009 #3
    Wauv, thanks for quick answer and the welcome ;)

Sorry about that - Both lenses are double-convex. (the radius of the sphere is not known)
    About the ray tracing - My question was more reagarding the theoretical explanation of the lights path through my spyglass. Actualy my assignment is to "1) Build a spyglass + 2) describe the way it work + 3) find its magnification".

So I have done 1 and 3 (only theoreticaly tho). But, like I said, I am unsure what happens* when i adjust the spyglass in order to get a sharp i mage.

*Sorry for the vague describtion. I mean what changes in the path of light, when i increase or decrease the distance between the two lenses, that provides the "sharp" image.

I hope this cleared things up a bid :)

5. Dec 13, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Assuming they are simple lenses (not achromats) you can easily work out the radius of curvature form the focal length - but thats not important.

Tracing the ideal path through the system is easy - the lenses are just placed the sum of their focal lengths apart. But with spherical lenses in the real world there might be a position near this where some errors in the lenses cancel out. Without a computer ray tracing package and exact details of the lenses all you can do is move them and have some criterion for 'in focus'

6. Dec 14, 2009 #5
    Right, thank you.
    I know that i can calculate the radius with the lensemakers formular, but like you said - not important :p

But what is it that provides the sharp image? Why is it that when i look at on object close by (2 m) i need to increase the distance between the lenses (more than 35 cm) and when looking at object far way (20 m) i decrease the distance (less than 35 cm).

When describing the functioning of the spyglass theorediacly, how should i describe that?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook