1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two-Level Quantum System, Need help Finding State at time t

1. Aug 27, 2016 #1

B3NR4Y

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]|1>[/itex] and [itex]|2>[/itex] form an orthonormal basis for a two-level system. The Hamiltonian of this system is given by:
    [tex]
    \hat{H} = \epsilon
    \begin{pmatrix}
    1 & i \\
    -i & 1
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/tex]

a.) Is this Hamiltonian hermitian? What is the significance of a hermitian operator?
    b.) Find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of this hamiltonian.
    c.) Suppose a particle is in the state [itex]|1>[/itex]. An energy measurement is performed on the particle. What are the possible outcomes of such a measurement, and what are the probabilities?
    2. Relevant equations
    All that should be necessary is the Schrodinger equation.
    [tex]\hat{H} |\psi> = E|\psi>[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    For part a I checked that the eigenvalues of the hamiltonian are real. This kills two birds with one stone because part b asks for the eigenvectors. They were real, and given by 2ε and 0. The significance of an operator being hermitian is that hermitian operators correspond to observables.

For part b I just went through the rigor of finding the eigenvectors.
    They were
    [itex] |1> =
    \begin{pmatrix}
    i \\
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/itex] and
    [itex]
    |2> =
    \begin{pmatrix}
    -i \\
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/itex] The first corresponds to the eigenvalue 2ε and the second corresponds to the eigenvalue 0.

For part C I used Schrodinger's equation and said that since |1> is an eigenvector of the hamiltonian it has a constant definite energy given by 2ε with 100% probability. This is where I feel like I am wrong, because I think this violates an uncertainty principle.

For part D I am not sure what to do. I know I should multiple by some exponent with time, but I'm not sure how to find this.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem doesn't say that ##|1\rangle## and ##|2\rangle## are energy eigenvectors and you shouldn't assume this way.
    If in part b) you don't assume that ##|1\rangle## and ##|2\rangle## are energy eigenvectors, these vectors will be some superposition states of the energy eigenvectors and thus the energy measurement will yield a multiple possibilities.

4. Aug 27, 2016 #3

B3NR4Y

Gold Member

Yeah my assumption about the basis was stupid. I did some extra reading to refresh my memory from my first quantum course and realized that.

Since |1> and |2> are any two linearly independent vectors, then an arbitrary state |ψ> can be written c1 |1> + c2 |2>. In the case that part c says, c2 = 0 and c1=1. However I am not sure how to write the |1> state in terms of the eigenvectors which I think is necessary. I was thinking that if the basis vectors are given by
    [itex] |1> =
    \begin{pmatrix}
    1 \\
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/itex] and
    [itex]
    |2> =
    \begin{pmatrix}
    0 \\
    \end{pmatrix}
    [/itex]

Writing |1> in terms of the eigenvectors is difficult to me.

5. Aug 27, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes that's right.
    You actually have a good start already since you have calculated the eigenvectors of ##H## in the basis ##\{| i \rangle\}## with ##i = 1,2##. However, let's rename the two eigenvectors using different notation, let's say ##|a\rangle## and ##|b\rangle##. Written in vector notation, these eigenvectors of ##H## will become
    $$
    |a\rangle =
    \begin{pmatrix}
    i \\ 1
    \end{pmatrix} = i
    \begin{pmatrix}
    1\\ 0
    \end{pmatrix}+
    \begin{pmatrix}
    0\\ 1
    \end{pmatrix} = i|1\rangle + |2\rangle
    $$
    and
    $$
    |b\rangle =
    \begin{pmatrix}
    -i \\ 1
    \end{pmatrix} = -i
    \begin{pmatrix}
    1\\ 0
    \end{pmatrix}+
    \begin{pmatrix}
    0\\ 1
    \end{pmatrix} = -i|1\rangle + |2\rangle
    $$
    Your task is to invert these two equations such that ##|1\rangle## and ##|2\rangle## are explicitly written in terms of ##|a\rangle## and ##|b\rangle##. After that, you should normalize them.

6. Aug 28, 2016 #5

B3NR4Y

Gold Member

I see, that is shockingly easy.

So once I have that I should compute [itex]<1|\hat{H}|1>[/itex] and the coefficient of each term is the probability of that energy?

7. Aug 28, 2016 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are not required to calculate the average of the measurement results, only the possible outcomes and the corresponding probability are asked.

8. Aug 28, 2016 #7

B3NR4Y

Gold Member

Okay I have that |1> can be written:
    [tex]|1\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}i} \left(|a\rangle-|b\rangle\right)[/tex]
    With this I apply H, which I can use the schrodinger equation to find. The only thing I am uneasy on now is that I think the coefficients will be imaginary, and I am not sure how to reconcile that. I remember in the past we had problems with clebsch-gordan tables and if the coefficients were imaginary we just took the length of that vector (i.e. -i/2 would just be given 1/2).

Sorry if all of these are stupid questions, I haven't done any of this all summer and am trying to get back in the swing of it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  9. Aug 28, 2016 #8

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes that's right.
    The coefficients are generally complex numbers, it's the probabilities which equal the modulus square of those coefficients that are real.
    I don't remember one has to deal with imaginary coefficients in calculating CG coefficients. The proportionality constant between the states ##|s_1s_2;SS\rangle## and ## |s_1s_2;s_1s_2\rangle## is agreed to be 1 and also the action of the lowering and raising operators gives only real coefficient, so the CG coefficients must be real.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted