Two-Level Quantum System, Need help Finding State at time t

In summary: What you may be thinking about is the spherical harmonics ##Y^m_l## which are complex, but in the end only the modulus square of them are used in calculating the probability.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[itex]|1>[/itex] and [itex]|2>[/itex] form an orthonormal basis for a two-level system. The Hamiltonian of this system is given by:
[tex]
\hat{H} = \epsilon
\begin{pmatrix}
1 & i \\
-i & 1
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

a.) Is this Hamiltonian hermitian? What is the significance of a hermitian operator?
b.) Find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of this hamiltonian.
c.) Suppose a particle is in the state [itex]|1>[/itex]. An energy measurement is performed on the particle. What are the possible outcomes of such a measurement, and what are the probabilities?

Homework Equations

All that should be necessary is the Schrodinger equation.
[tex]\hat{H} |\psi> = E|\psi>[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a I checked that the eigenvalues of the hamiltonian are real. This kills two birds with one stone because part b asks for the eigenvectors. They were real, and given by 2ε and 0. The significance of an operator being hermitian is that hermitian operators correspond to observables.

For part b I just went through the rigor of finding the eigenvectors.
They were
[itex] |1> =
\begin{pmatrix}
i \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex] and
[itex]
|2> =
\begin{pmatrix}
-i \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex] The first corresponds to the eigenvalue 2ε and the second corresponds to the eigenvalue 0.

For part C I used Schrodinger's equation and said that since |1> is an eigenvector of the hamiltonian it has a constant definite energy given by 2ε with 100% probability. This is where I feel like I am wrong, because I think this violates an uncertainty principle.

For part D I am not sure what to do. I know I should multiple by some exponent with time, but I'm not sure how to find this.

Physics news on Phys.org
B3NR4Y said:
For part b I just went through the rigor of finding the eigenvectors.
They were
|1>=(i1)|1>=(i1) |1> = \begin{pmatrix} i \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} and
|2>=(−i1)|2>=(−i1) |2> = \begin{pmatrix} -i \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} The first corresponds to the eigenvalue 2ε and the second corresponds to the eigenvalue 0.
The problem doesn't say that ##|1\rangle## and ##|2\rangle## are energy eigenvectors and you shouldn't assume this way.
B3NR4Y said:
For part C I used Schrodinger's equation and said that since |1> is an eigenvector of the hamiltonian it has a constant definite energy given by 2ε with 100% probability. This is where I feel like I am wrong, because I think this violates an uncertainty principle.
If in part b) you don't assume that ##|1\rangle## and ##|2\rangle## are energy eigenvectors, these vectors will be some superposition states of the energy eigenvectors and thus the energy measurement will yield a multiple possibilities.

Yeah my assumption about the basis was stupid. I did some extra reading to refresh my memory from my first quantum course and realized that.

Since |1> and |2> are any two linearly independent vectors, then an arbitrary state |ψ> can be written c1 |1> + c2 |2>. In the case that part c says, c2 = 0 and c1=1. However I am not sure how to write the |1> state in terms of the eigenvectors which I think is necessary. I was thinking that if the basis vectors are given by
[itex] |1> =
\begin{pmatrix}
1 \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex] and
[itex]
|2> =
\begin{pmatrix}
0 \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/itex]

Writing |1> in terms of the eigenvectors is difficult to me.

B3NR4Y said:
Since |1> and |2> are any two linearly independent vectors, then an arbitrary state |ψ> can be written c1 |1> + c2 |2>.
Yes that's right.
B3NR4Y said:
In the case that part c says, c2 = 0 and c1=1. However I am not sure how to write the |1> state in terms of the eigenvectors which I think is necessary.
You actually have a good start already since you have calculated the eigenvectors of ##H## in the basis ##\{| i \rangle\}## with ##i = 1,2##. However, let's rename the two eigenvectors using different notation, let's say ##|a\rangle## and ##|b\rangle##. Written in vector notation, these eigenvectors of ##H## will become
$$
|a\rangle =
\begin{pmatrix}
i \\ 1
\end{pmatrix} = i
\begin{pmatrix}
1\\ 0
\end{pmatrix}+
\begin{pmatrix}
0\\ 1
\end{pmatrix} = i|1\rangle + |2\rangle
$$
and
$$
|b\rangle =
\begin{pmatrix}
-i \\ 1
\end{pmatrix} = -i
\begin{pmatrix}
1\\ 0
\end{pmatrix}+
\begin{pmatrix}
0\\ 1
\end{pmatrix} = -i|1\rangle + |2\rangle
$$
Your task is to invert these two equations such that ##|1\rangle## and ##|2\rangle## are explicitly written in terms of ##|a\rangle## and ##|b\rangle##. After that, you should normalize them.

I see, that is shockingly easy.

So once I have that I should compute [itex]<1|\hat{H}|1>[/itex] and the coefficient of each term is the probability of that energy?

B3NR4Y said:
So once I have that I should compute <1|^H|1>
You are not required to calculate the average of the measurement results, only the possible outcomes and the corresponding probability are asked.

Okay I have that |1> can be written:
[tex]|1\rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}i} \left(|a\rangle-|b\rangle\right)[/tex]
With this I apply H, which I can use the schrodinger equation to find. The only thing I am uneasy on now is that I think the coefficients will be imaginary, and I am not sure how to reconcile that. I remember in the past we had problems with clebsch-gordan tables and if the coefficients were imaginary we just took the length of that vector (i.e. -i/2 would just be given 1/2).

Sorry if all of these are stupid questions, I haven't done any of this all summer and am trying to get back in the swing of it.

Last edited:
B3NR4Y said:
Okay I have that |1> can be written:
|1⟩=1√2i(|a⟩−|b⟩)|1⟩=12i(|a⟩−|b⟩)​
Yes that's right.
B3NR4Y said:
The only thing I am uneasy on now is that I think the coefficients will be imaginary, and I am not sure how to reconcile that.
The coefficients are generally complex numbers, it's the probabilities which equal the modulus square of those coefficients that are real.
B3NR4Y said:
I remember in the past we had problems with clebsch-gordan tables and if the coefficients were imaginary we just took the length of that vector (i.e. -i/2 would just be given 1/2).
I don't remember one has to deal with imaginary coefficients in calculating CG coefficients. The proportionality constant between the states ##|s_1s_2;SS\rangle## and ## |s_1s_2;s_1s_2\rangle## is agreed to be 1 and also the action of the lowering and raising operators gives only real coefficient, so the CG coefficients must be real.

1. What is a two-level quantum system?

A two-level quantum system is a physical system that can exist in only two distinct energy states, referred to as the ground state and excited state. Examples include spin-1/2 particles, such as electrons, and certain atomic systems.

2. How does a two-level quantum system behave over time?

A two-level quantum system follows the laws of quantum mechanics, which describe how the system evolves over time. This evolution is governed by the Schrödinger equation, which determines the state of the system at any given time.

3. What factors affect the state of a two-level quantum system at time t?

The state of a two-level quantum system at time t is affected by the initial state of the system, the energy difference between the two levels, and any external influences or interactions with other systems.

4. How do you calculate the state of a two-level quantum system at time t?

The state of a two-level quantum system at time t can be calculated using the Schrödinger equation and knowledge of the initial state of the system and any external influences. This calculation involves solving for the coefficients of the state vector, which represent the probability amplitudes of the system being in each of the two energy states.

5. What practical applications does the study of two-level quantum systems have?

The study of two-level quantum systems has many practical applications, such as in quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and precision measurements. Understanding the behavior of these systems is crucial for the development of advanced technologies and for furthering our understanding of the fundamental laws of quantum mechanics.