1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exponential of hermitian matrix

1. Feb 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A be a Hermitian matrix and consider the matrix U = exp[-iA] defined by thr Taylor expansion of the exponential.

a) Show that the eigenvectors of A are eigenvectors of U. If the eigenvalues of A are a subscript(i) for i=1,...N, show that the eigenvalues of U are exp[-i*a subscript(i)].

b) Show that U is unitary.

This example is important in quantum mechanics when A=Ht/h, where H is the Hamiltonian operator, t is time, and h is Plank's constant. Then U evolves the wavefunction over a time t.
    2. Relevant equations
    I have uploaded what I have come up with so far, but not sure where to go with it

3. The attempt at a solution

See uploaded file

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2017 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You have ##A\nu_i = a_i \nu_i## where ##a_i## is the eigenvalue corresponding to an eigenvector ##\nu_i##. Have you tried inputting this eigenvalue equation into the eigenvalue equation for ##U## using its Taylor expansion definition?
    Do you know the property of the determinant of a unitary matrix?

4. Feb 12, 2017 #3
    Ok, will see if I can make that work. Thanks!

5. Feb 12, 2017 #4
    I'm trying to figure this out, but not sure how to input that equation into the Taylor expansion

6. Feb 12, 2017 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try applying ##U## in its Taylor form to an eigenvector of ##A##
    $$
    (I + iA - \frac{1}{2}A^2 - i\frac{1}{6} A^3 + \ldots) \nu_i .
    $$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted