1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two Level System with thermal population

1. Nov 10, 2013 #1
    Hello,

the task is the following:

Consider a two-level system with thermal population.

a) Show that the rate equation for the state [itex]N_2[/itex] is the following:

[itex]\frac{dN_2}{dt}=w(N_1-N_2)-\frac{N_2-N_2^e}{\tau}[/itex]

[itex]w=B_{12}\rho({\nu}) \,\,\, N_2=N_2^p+N_2^e\,\,\, N_1=N-N_2[/itex]

[itex]N_2^p[/itex] is the portion of the total population caused by pumping.

b) Show, that using such a system it is impossible to build a CW Laser.

c) Calculate the progress of [itex]N_2(t)[/itex] when the system is stimulated by a constant monochromatic signal with spectral density I and frequency [itex]h\nu=(E_2-E_1)[/itex]. For t=0 only thermal population exist.

My ideas are the following:

a) [itex]\frac{dN_2}{dt}[/itex] is just the sum of absorption, stimulated emission and spontaneous emission. Spontaneous emission occurs only from the the "pumped portion":
    [itex]\frac{dN_2}{dt}=B_{12}\rho({\nu})N_1-B_{21}\rho({\nu})N_2-A_{21}N_2^p[/itex]
    [itex]\frac{dN_2}{dt}=B_{12}\rho({\nu})N_1-B_{12}\rho({\nu})N_2-A_{21}(N_2-N_2^e)[/itex]
    using [itex]A_{21}=\frac{1}{\tau}[/itex] leads to:
    [itex]\frac{dN_2}{dt}=w(N_1-N_2)-\frac{N_2-N_2^e}{\tau}[/itex]

b) I'm not sure, but I think CW is only possible if [itex]\frac{d^2N_2}{dt^2}=0[/itex]:
    [itex]\frac{d^2N_2}{dt^2}=B_{12}\rho(\frac{dN_1}{dt}-\frac{dN_2}{dt})-\frac{1}{\tau}\frac{dN_2}{dt}+\frac{1}{\tau}\frac{dN_2^e}{dt}[/itex]
    [itex]N_2^e[/itex] should be independent on time. Using [itex]\frac{dN_1}{dt}=-\frac{dN_2}{dt}[/itex] leads to:
    [itex]0=-2B_{12}\rho\frac{dN_2}{dt}-\frac{1}{\tau}\frac{dN_2}{dt}[/itex]

This can't be 0 since the left term depends on the frequency but the right term doesn't.

c) I tried several things but none of them were promising. The problem is: [itex]N_1[/itex] depends on the time.
    I really would appreciate it if you gave me a hint.

Sorry for my english, but it's not my mother tongue.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted