Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser - Einstein's Coefficients

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

I was reading Lasers and i read something like this:

for spontaneous emission, the rate of decay of electrons in high-energy state to low energy state is given by:

[itex]\frac{dN_2}{dt} = P_{21}N_2[/itex]

where P21 is equal to the probability of electron to drop from higher energy state to lower energy state.

Now, P21 was defined as [itex]P_{21} = B_{21}u(\nu)[/itex]

And [itex]B_{21}[/itex] is called Einstein's Coefficients of spontaneous emission

then in some other topic, they wrote B21 as probability of spontaneous emission per unit time.

Are they really same thing? ... I guess not ... B21 should be something like probability of spontaneous emission per-unit Energy density (:p i know this doesn't make any sense ... ) ...

Please Help ...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2
    Spontaneous emission is nearly always written as A21, not B21 - B is used for absorption and stimulated emission. You can use dimensional analysis to find the units in the equation you wrote - what units must P21 have?

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

By what author? Siegman? Milloni & Eberly? Other?

5. Nov 7, 2011 #4
    Oh yes, sorry i wasn't careful enough while typing ..

6. Nov 7, 2011 #5
    Its not from any book ... i pasted it from some website into MS word ... so i dont even remember the site ... :p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook