1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser - Einstein's Coefficients

1. Nov 7, 2011 #1
    Hi all,

I was reading Lasers and i read something like this:

for spontaneous emission, the rate of decay of electrons in high-energy state to low energy state is given by:

[itex]\frac{dN_2}{dt} = P_{21}N_2[/itex]

where P21 is equal to the probability of electron to drop from higher energy state to lower energy state.

Now, P21 was defined as [itex]P_{21} = B_{21}u(\nu)[/itex]

And [itex]B_{21}[/itex] is called Einstein's Coefficients of spontaneous emission

then in some other topic, they wrote B21 as probability of spontaneous emission per unit time.

Are they really same thing? ... I guess not ... B21 should be something like probability of spontaneous emission per-unit Energy density (:p i know this doesn't make any sense ... ) ...

Please Help ...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2011 #2
    Spontaneous emission is nearly always written as A21, not B21 - B is used for absorption and stimulated emission. You can use dimensional analysis to find the units in the equation you wrote - what units must P21 have?

4. Nov 7, 2011 #3

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

By what author? Siegman? Milloni & Eberly? Other?

5. Nov 7, 2011 #4
    Oh yes, sorry i wasn't careful enough while typing ..

6. Nov 7, 2011 #5
    Its not from any book ... i pasted it from some website into MS word ... so i dont even remember the site ... :p

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook