Two Masses, a Pulley, and an Inclined Plane

In summary, the conversation discussed solving for the mass of block 2 in a system with an ideal pulley, given an angle and coefficient of kinetic friction. The individual solved for T on block 1 and plugged the value into the ΣFx equation to get a mass of 0.88 kg. The importance of checking the expression for tension was also mentioned.
pkreilley
Homework Statement
Block 1, of mass m1 = 0.700 kg , is connected over an ideal (massless and frictionless) pulley to block 2, of mass m2, as shown. For an angle of θ = 30.0 ∘ and a coefficient of kinetic friction between block 2 and the plane of μ = 0.350, an acceleration of magnitude a = 0.200 m/s2 is observed for block 2.

Find the mass of m2.
Relevant Equations
Fnet=ma
T= mg-ma
[m1]ΣFy=m1g-T
[m2]ΣFy=m2gcosΘ-Fn=0
[m2]ΣFx=m2gsinΘ+μFn-T=m2a
1600713823125.png
1600715016328.png

I solved for T on m1 and arrived at 6.72. I plugged that value into the ΣFx equation as shown above (pardon my handwriting) and got a mass of 0.88 kg.

The online program indicated that I needed to check my expression for tension, noting that the two tensions are heading in opposite directions. I don't really understand the significance of that feedback. Any help is much appreciated.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF @pkreilley. :welcome:

pkreilley said:
Homework Statement:: Block 1, of mass m1 = 0.700 kg , is connected over an ideal (massless and frictionless) pulley to block 2, of mass m2, as shown. For an angle of θ = 30.0 ∘ and a coefficient of kinetic friction between block 2 and the plane of μ = 0.350, an acceleration of magnitude a = 0.200 m/s2 is observed for block 2.

Find the mass of m2.
Relevant Equations:: Fnet=ma
T= mg-ma
[m1]ΣFy=m1g-T
[m2]ΣFy=m2gcosΘ-Fn=0

View attachment 269833View attachment 269835
I solved for T on m1 and arrived at 6.72. I plugged that value into the ΣFx equation as shown above (pardon my handwriting) and got a mass of 0.88 kg.

The online program indicated that I needed to check my expression for tension, noting that the two tensions are heading in opposite directions. I don't really understand the significance of that feedback. Any help is much appreciated.
This is where your problem is
Up the incline (direction of acceleration a) is assumed positive as shown on the RHS.
m2gsinΘ and μFn must be negative because they are down the incline
T must be positive because it is up the incline.

Or you could just change the sign of the acceleration in this equation and leave the LHS alone.

What is the purpose of using two masses, a pulley, and an inclined plane in an experiment?

The purpose of using two masses, a pulley, and an inclined plane in an experiment is to study the principles of Newton's laws of motion. This setup allows for the observation and measurement of forces, acceleration, and motion in a controlled environment.

How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the experiment?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the experiment by changing the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the masses. As the angle increases, the force of gravity pulling the masses towards the ground also increases, resulting in a greater acceleration down the incline.

What is the role of the pulley in this experiment?

The pulley serves as a point of support and redirection for the string connecting the two masses. It allows for the forces to be distributed evenly between the two masses and for the motion of one mass to be transferred to the other.

How does the mass of the objects affect the results of the experiment?

The mass of the objects affects the results of the experiment by influencing the amount of force needed to move the masses. Heavier masses require more force to accelerate, while lighter masses require less force. This relationship is described by Newton's second law of motion.

What are the potential sources of error in this experiment?

Potential sources of error in this experiment include friction between the inclined plane and the masses, air resistance, and imprecise measurements. These factors can affect the accuracy of the results and should be minimized or accounted for in the experimental setup.