Two object collision question impossible

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 100g granite cube sliding down a frictionless ramp and colliding with a 200g steel cube at rest on a horizontal table. The question is how high above the table the granite cube must be released to give the steel cube a speed of 150cm/s. The conversation mentions trying to use the conservation of energy and conservation of momentum to solve the problem, but encountering difficulties due to not knowing if the collision is perfectly elastic. It is suggested that assuming a perfectly elastic collision and using conservation of energy should lead to the correct answer of 25.9cm, but the asker has only been able to get 23cm. They ask for help and mention that the correct answer
mrjoe2

Homework Statement

a 100g granite cube slides down a 40 degree frctionless ramp. at the bottom, just as it exits onto a horizontal table, it collides with a 200g steel cube at rest. how high above the table should the granite cube be released to give the stell cube a speed of 150cm/s

Homework Equations

Ek=1/2mv^2
Eg=mgy
maybe Ptot=ptot'

The Attempt at a Solution

first i tried the problem with the conservation of energy where the energy from the first block is transferred to the second (the Ek of 1st block is transferred to Ek second block). that didnt work. then i tried the conservation of momentum but you can't use it because you don't know if it is a perfectly elastic collision of the cubes stick together. you cannot assume anything, so i think i need to utilize the conservation of momentum, but its not giving me the right answer! the answer should be 25.9cm and i keep getting 23cm. also, using the conservation of energy, the angle is irrelevant. try it to see if you get the correct answer. i really doubt you willlll! :P help!

Physics news on Phys.org
If one assumes that the collision is completely elastic and simply uses conservation of energy, where an angle is indeed irrelevant as you point out, then one should arrive at the correct answer.

In most general cases, if nothing is said about the elastic porperty of collision, we assume it to be a perfectly elastic one!

Hootenanny said:
If one assumes that the collision is completely elastic and simply uses conservation of energy, where an angle is indeed irrelevant as you point out, then one should arrive at the correct answer.

i used the conservation of energy with an elastic collision and it did not work. you can try it for yourself, the "correct" answer is posted!

mrjoe2 said:
i used the conservation of energy with an elastic collision and it did not work. you can try it for yourself, the "correct" answer is posted!
I did - and got the correct answer. Perhaps if you posted you're working we could point out where you're going wrong.

1. What is the definition of a "two object collision"?

A two object collision refers to a situation where two objects come into contact with each other and transfer energy and momentum between them.

2. Is it possible to predict the outcome of a two object collision?

Yes, it is possible to predict the outcome of a two object collision by using the laws of conservation of energy and momentum.

3. Are there any factors that can affect the outcome of a two object collision?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the outcome of a two object collision, including the mass and velocity of the objects, the angle of collision, and any external forces acting on the objects.

4. Can a two object collision be perfectly elastic?

No, it is not possible for a two object collision to be perfectly elastic, as some energy will always be lost in the form of heat or sound.

5. How do scientists study and analyze two object collisions?

Scientists use mathematical equations, computer simulations, and real-life experiments to study and analyze two object collisions. They also take into account various parameters and factors to accurately predict the outcome of a collision.