1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two points are on a disk that rotates about an axis perpendicular to the plane

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    Two unequal masses m and 2m are attached to a thin bar of negligible mass that rotates about an axis perpendicular to the bar. When m is a distance 2d from the axis and 2m is a distance d from the axis, the moment of inertia of this combination is I. If the masses are now interchanged, the moment of inertia will be?

This is the work I tried:

The mases are m and 2m
    The distance of the mass m from the axis is 2d
    The distance of the mass 2m from the axis is d

The moment of inertia of the masse before exchanged is

I = m(2d)^2 + 2m(d)^2

I = 6md^2

The moment of inertia of the masse After exchanged is

The distance of the mass m from the axis is d
    The distance of the mass 2m from the axis is 2d

I = m(d)^2 + 2m(2d)^2

I = 8md^2

I thought that after the masses were interchanged, the I would be 2I, the difference between before and after. The answer was wrong. I think the answer might be (2/3)I but I'm not sure. help is much appreciated

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2
    There's an error in your last calculation... I'=m(d)^2+2m(2d)^2=m(d)^2+8m(d)^2=9m(d)^2
    Meaning that the ratio between I' (after the masse were interchanged) and I is 9/6=3/2.
    But I'm not sure I've understood your problem...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook