Understanding Feynman's Discussion of the Parallel Axis Theorem

In summary, Feynman is discussing how an object's moment of inertia around an axis is affected by how it is supported. If the object is free to rotate about the axis, then the inertia is the same as if all the mass were concentrated at the center of mass. If the object is stuck to a pivot, then the inertia is different because the stick has to rotate about its center of mass in addition to the object.
bryanso
Homework Statement
Feynman Lectures Volume 1 Chapter 19 has the following discussion. I understand the mathematic proof, but I don't understand his thinking.
Relevant Equations
Not a question about equations, but this is a discussion of the Parallel Axis Theorem
https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_19.html
"Suppose we have an object, and we want to find its moment of inertia around some axis. That means we want the inertia needed to carry it by rotation about that axis. Now if we support the object on pivots at the center of mass, so that the object does not turn as it rotates about the axis (because there is no torque on it from inertial effects, and therefore it will not turn when we start moving it), then the forces needed to swing it around are the same as though all the mass were concentrated at the center of mass, and the moment of inertia would be simply ##I_1 = M R^2_{cm}##, where ##R_{cm}## is the distance from the axis to the center of mass..."

I'm really stuck at understanding a pivot supporting the center of mass. I take it to mean fixing the center of mass at a fixed location, not allowing it to move. Then how can it be moved?

Next, he said "so that the object does not turn as it rotates about the axis"... Aren't turn and rotate the same thing? How can something rotate but not turn?

Thanks

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
As an example, suppose you have a stick attached at its center of mass to an axle on a handle. Suppose the stick is free to rotate about the axle.

1593379180791.png

Stand and hold the handle at arm's length with the stick horizontal. While standing in place, rotate your body. A top view of the motion of the stick would look something like

1593379840903.png

You are at the axis of rotation. The stick maintains a fixed orientation relative to the room. If you increase the rotation rate of your body, then you feel the "inertial effects" of the rod. The inertia is the same as if all the mass of the rod were concentrated in a particle and located at the CM of the stick. So, the rotational inertia that you feel would just be ##MR_{\rm CM}^2##, where ##R_{\rm CM}## is the radius of the circle in the figure above.

Now suppose the stick is stuck to the handle so that the stick is no longer able to rotate relative to the handle. Assuming you don't let the handle slip in your hand, it might look like

1593379885204.png

Now, the inertial effects will be different. You will need to "twist" the handle while you increase your rotation speed (which you didn't have to do previously). There is now some "extra" rotational inertia, ##I_c##, due to the stick rotating about its CM.

I think this is sort of what Feynman is saying.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban, etotheipi and Delta2
TSny said:
As an example, suppose you have a stick attached at its center of mass to an axle on a handle. Suppose the stick is free to rotate about the axle.

View attachment 265438

Stand and hold the handle at arm's length with the stick horizontal. While standing in place, rotate your body. A top view of the motion of the stick would look something like

View attachment 265441

You are at the axis of rotation. The stick maintains a fixed orientation relative to the room. If you increase the rotation rate of your body, then you feel the "inertial effects" of the rod. The inertia is the same as if all the mass of the rod were concentrated in a particle and located at the CM of the stick. So, the rotational inertia that you feel would just be ##MR_{\rm CM}^2##, where ##R_{\rm CM}## is the radius of the circle in the figure above.

Now suppose the stick is stuck to the handle so that the stick is no longer able to rotate relative to the handle. Assuming you don't let the handle slip in your hand, it might look like

View attachment 265442

Now, the inertial effects will be different. You will need to "twist" the handle while you increase your rotation speed (which you didn't have to do previously). There is now some "extra" rotational inertia, ##I_c##, due to the stick rotating about its CM.

I think this is sort of what Feynman is saying.
Thanks a lot. I think you are right. I couldn't think of this! This picture should be posted to the Feynman site for help :)

1. What is the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The Parallel Axis Theorem is a mathematical principle that describes the relationship between the moment of inertia of an object and its distance from an axis of rotation. It states that the moment of inertia of an object is equal to the sum of its moment of inertia about its center of mass and the product of its mass and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. Who came up with the Parallel Axis Theorem?

The Parallel Axis Theorem was first proposed by the renowned physicist Richard Feynman in his famous lectures on physics. However, the principle was also independently discovered by the Italian mathematician Giovanni Alfonso Borelli in the 17th century.

3. How does the Parallel Axis Theorem apply to real-world situations?

The Parallel Axis Theorem has many practical applications, particularly in engineering and mechanics. It is often used to calculate the moment of inertia of objects with irregular shapes, such as car parts or airplane wings. It also helps in understanding the behavior of rotating objects, such as gyroscopes.

4. What is the significance of Feynman's discussion of the Parallel Axis Theorem?

Feynman's discussion of the Parallel Axis Theorem is significant because it provides a clear and intuitive explanation of the principle, making it easier for students and researchers to understand and apply it. His lectures on physics have been widely praised for their clarity and accessibility, making complex concepts like the Parallel Axis Theorem more understandable for a wider audience.

5. Are there any limitations to the Parallel Axis Theorem?

While the Parallel Axis Theorem is a useful and widely applicable principle, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the object being rotated is rigid and that its mass is evenly distributed. It also does not take into account factors such as friction and air resistance, which can affect the object's rotation. Additionally, it is only applicable to objects rotating around a single axis and cannot be used for more complex rotational motions.