Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two slit experiment with a wavy screen

1. Sep 18, 2015 #1
    I was wondering if the two slit experiment has been performed with a wavy screen, the screen being modulated in such a way as to compensate for the difference in the phases of the paths from the two slits. If so what was the result in terms of the angular distribution? If not what would it be expected to be?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

What do you mean by "compensate"? For every point in space you can calculate the differences. If the screen is curved too much, you have to take diffraction there into account as well.

4. Sep 18, 2015 #3
    I meant to modulate the detection screen so that the two paths arrive at it at every point with a constant phase difference. Would it be possible to eliminate the maxima and minima?

5. Sep 18, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

That is not possible unless you make holes in your screen (or use an extremely tiny screen). Phase difference is continuous for a continuous screen, so you cannot jump from one maximum to another for example.

6. Sep 18, 2015 #5
    I don't understand. Would it not be possible to design the detection screen so that each point had a constant path difference from each of the slits? The modulation would be continuous as would be the the phase difference.

7. Sep 18, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

The points of constant path difference without disturbance are a line that goes away (nearly) radially from the slits. Such a screen would influence the propagation of light significantly.

8. Sep 19, 2015 #7
    OK, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook