Two Slit Interference Question

In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving interference patterns and two narrow slits. The problem asks for the distance between the second and third bright lines on a screen given the distance between the slits and the wavelength of the source. The individual attempted to solve the problem using a formula, but was unsure if their answer was correct. Another person checked their work and confirmed that the answer was correct. The conversation ends with gratitude for the help.
benk99nenm312
Hey guys, I am trying desperately to figure this problem out. I have not done a problem like this ever before, and it is on our homework in a regular high school physics class. The teachers did not even teach us, this is just my attempt from research and previous knowledge.

Homework Statement

Two narrow slits are spaced .25 mm apart and are 60 cm from a screen. what is the distance between the second and third bright lines of the interference pattern if the source is 546 nm of mercury?

Homework Equations

I used the equation y B (m) = (m[tex]\lambda[/tex]L) / d , where y B (m) is the y coordinate of the bright spot on the interference pattern, m is the spot number (second or third spot), lambda is wavelength, L is the distance from the source to the screen, and d is the distance between the slits.

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted all given numbers to meters, then found the difference between the y coordinates of the 2nd and third bright spots. I called difference length, the variable we are looking for, x.

x = (3[tex]\lambda[/tex]L) / d - (2[tex]\lambda[/tex]L) / d
x = [3(5.46 x 10^-7 m)(.6 m) / (2.5 x 10^-4 m)] - [2(5.46 x 10^-7 m)(.6 m) / (2.5 x 10^-4 m)]
x = .0039312 m - .0026208 = a difference in the 2nd and third bright spot of .0013104 meters. But, that is barely a width of over a millimeter, I believe something went wrong. Can anyone please help?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The assignment is graded and due tomorrow, can anyone please help?

Looks right to me. I got the same answer.

Oh wow, sweet hah, the number just seemed a bit small to me. Thanks

What is two slit interference?

Two slit interference is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave, such as light or sound, passes through two closely spaced slits and interferes with itself, creating a pattern of alternating bright and dark bands on a screen.

What causes two slit interference?

Two slit interference is caused by the wave-like behavior of light or sound. When a wave passes through two slits, it diffracts and creates two sets of waves that overlap and interfere with each other, creating the interference pattern.

Why is two slit interference important?

Two slit interference is important because it provides evidence for the wave nature of light and other types of waves. It also has practical applications in fields such as optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics.

How can the interference pattern be changed?

The interference pattern can be changed by altering the distance between the two slits, changing the wavelength of the wave, or by introducing a material that can affect the wave, such as a polarizer or a diffraction grating.

Can two slit interference occur with particles?

Yes, two slit interference can occur with particles, such as electrons and atoms. This phenomenon is known as wave-particle duality and is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.