1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hair/wire laser diffraction interference pattern

1. Aug 22, 2016 #1
    Hair/wire laser diffraction interference pattern - does it follow single-slit or double-slit?

for single-slit interference, the equation nλ = d (y/D), (d is the width of the single-slit, y is the distance between central BRIGHT fringe to the nth DARK fringe, D is the distance from slit to screen)

for double-slit interference, the equation nλ = d(y/D), (d is the width of the single-slit, y is the distance between central BRIGHT fringe to the nth BRIGHT fringe, D is the distance from slit to screen)

How about for a laser shining on a hair (to find the thickness of hair/wire?), what does nλ = d (y/D) mean for the interference pattern?

Experimentally, the actual interference pattern I observe in class is that it looks like a single-slit (the next bright fringe isn't very bright, quite dim) . But when I draw a diagram to show how light bends around the edges of the hair, it looks like double-slit.

More importantly, what does y mean for the hair-laser experiment?

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Aug 23, 2016 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The pattern of light forming on the other side of the hair is a result of diffraction and interference and of cause some of the undistrubed beam getting past the hair. Is this pattern formed by a single source of light?

5. Aug 23, 2016 #4
    Yup it's a single source of light, and i suppose it'll be the same as single slit experiment. It's just trying to understand why, but i gotta draw out the lines to understand it. Thanks all!!

6. Aug 23, 2016 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think it's easy to understand Babinet's principle by drawing rays or wavefronts. Instead, the elementary explanations that I've seen generally use an indirect argument. The link I posted gives a brief explanation. More of this type of argument can be found by web search and also here on the forum:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-does-laser-on-a-hair-wire-creat-a-single-slit.465358/

7. Aug 24, 2016 #6

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The wire presents the wavefronts coming from the laser with two edges, one on the left and one on the right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted