Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two small insulating spheres with radius

1. Mar 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two small insulating spheres with radius 5.50×10−2 m are separated by a large center-to-center distance of 0.510 m. One sphere is negatively charged, with net charge -2.20 \mu C, and the other sphere is positively charged, with net charge 4.05 \mu C. The charge is uniformly distributed within the volume of each sphere.

Calculate E_1, the magnitude of the electric field at the midway point due to the sphere with charge -2.20 \mu C only.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to use q/4pi(espolon not)r^2 but im not sure my radius is right because I have used half the distance for the distance and the radius of the sphere for the distance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2008 #2
    E(sphere) = Q/ 4pi(distance)^2
    Notice that this the same as a point charge. You do not need to worry about the radius of the sphere for this part of the question.

4. Mar 11, 2008 #3
    thanks

my problem was that I wasn't changing my units from micro coulombs to coulombs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?