Electric Field for Equilibrium of Two Spheres with Charges in a Uniform Field

In summary, two small spheres with equal and opposite charges and masses are suspended by light strings in a uniform electric field in the x direction. To determine the electric field that enables the spheres to be in equilibrium at an angle of 10.0° to the vertical, the forces along the x-axis are considered. The sum of forces on the negative and positive charges by the field is equal to the attraction force between the two charges. In the equilibrium position, the net force acting on the spheres is the sum of electrostatic force and force due to the electric field. Solving the equations for tension and using the separation distance between the spheres, the electric field is found to be 6.47 x 10^3 N/c.
Bradwast88

Homework Statement

Two small spheres, each of mass 2.00 g, are suspended by
light strings 10.0 cm in length. A uniform
electric field is applied in the x direction. The spheres
have charges equal to -5.00 x 10^-8 C and +5.00 x
10^-8 C. Determine the electric field that enables the
spheres to be in equilibrium at an angle theta= 10.0° to the vertical.

Homework Equations

F=Eq,F=KqQ/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For the equilibrium of whole system, I have applied the forces along the x-axis.
So then attraction force between two charges=The sum of forces on (-) and (+) charges by the field.And I have noticed that tensions are canceling each other.

(8.99x10^9)(5x10x10^-6)^2/(2x0.1sin10)=2E(5x10^-6)
and I have got E=6.47 x 10^3 N/c for the answer but unfortunately answer was incorrect.
Was there any thing wrong with my equations?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i Dont get ur questions properly. What is the distance between the two spheres? is the angle 10degrees from vertical?

Oh sorry about that yes that is 10 degrees from vertical.

Eq=kq^2/(20sin10)^2+Tsin10...1
mg=Tcos10...2
Solving these two equations u should be able to get the answer.

Ok thanks for it.
But could you please tell me know is there any thing wrong with this statement.
For the equilibrium of whole system, I have applied the forces along the x-axis.
So then attraction force between two charges=The sum of forces on (-) and (+) charges by the field.And I have noticed that tensions are canceling each other.

can u give me a diagram of the arrangement because in I assumed electric field to be in the left directrion and positive charge in the left and the negative charge in the right. Is that right?

Negative charge is in the left and postive is in the right.And electric field is in the positive x direction.
Unfortunately I can't provide the diagram.Sorry.

Bradwast88 said:
Negative charge is in the left and postive is in the right.And electric field is in the positive x direction.
Unfortunately I can't provide the diagram.Sorry.

In the equilibrium position, net force acting on the spheres is the sum of electrostatic force and force due to the electric field. In this position the separation between the sphere is given by r = 2Lsinθ.

Ιf T is the tension in the string, then

Tcosθ = mg and

Tsinθ = kq^2/r^2 + Eq.

Now solve for E.

What is meant by "Two spheres in equilibrium"?

Two spheres in equilibrium refers to a state where two objects with the same mass and size are placed on a balance scale and are in a state of balance, meaning that they have equal weight and are not moving.

What factors affect the equilibrium of two spheres?

The equilibrium of two spheres can be affected by the mass, size, and density of the spheres, as well as the distance between them. Other factors such as external forces, such as gravity or friction, can also affect the equilibrium.

How is the equilibrium of two spheres calculated?

The equilibrium of two spheres can be calculated by using the principle of moments, also known as the law of the lever. This involves multiplying the mass of each sphere by its distance from the pivot point, and ensuring that the moments on both sides of the pivot are equal.

What is the significance of studying two spheres in equilibrium?

Studying two spheres in equilibrium can help us understand the principles of balance and stability, which are important in fields such as engineering and physics. It also allows us to explore the effects of different factors on the equilibrium of an object.

How does changing the mass or size of the spheres affect the equilibrium?

Changing the mass or size of the spheres will affect the equilibrium by altering the distribution of weight on the balance scale. A heavier or larger sphere will have a greater moment, and therefore require a smaller distance from the pivot point to maintain equilibrium.