Two stacked blocks attached to a spring

In summary, the two blocks will still be in equilibrium as long as the force exerted by the spring equals the force of friction.
mintsnapple

Homework Statement

ehhpjo.png

Homework Equations

F_spring = kx, where x is the distance compressed
f_friction = uN

The Attempt at a Solution

Forces acting on m: N_1 up, mg down, f_friction to right
Forces acting on M: N_2 up, Mg+N_1 down, f_spring to the right

Block m will still be in equilibrium as long as the force exerted by the spring equals the force of friction:

kx = uN_1
The block isn't accelerating in y-direction so N_1 = mg
So kx = u*mg
x = u*mg/k

Does that look fine?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me, force balance between the friction and the spring gives the upper bound.

A small nitpick; I might have worded this differently:

"Block m will still be in equilibrium as long as the force exerted by the spring equals the force of friction:"

I would instead say "is equal to or less than".

Likes 1 person
No, this is wrong. You've not taken into account that the spring also has to accelerate M, so the accelerating force on m will be less than kx.
Let the acceleration be a. Write out the horizontal ∑F=ma equations for both blocks. Don't forget that the horizontal friction force on m applies equally and oppositely to M.

Pythagorean said:
A small nitpick; I might have worded this differently:

"Block m will still be in equilibrium as long as the force exerted by the spring equals the force of friction:"

I would instead say "is equal to or less than".
First, we're not asking for m to be in equilibrium - merely that it does not slip.
Secondly, the condition for not slipping is that the horizontal force required to accelerate it at the same rate as M does not exceed the maximum frictional force. The actual frictional force may be less than maximum.

Likes 1 person
Ugh, thanks haruspex. I'm more disconnected from this stuff than I thought.

Yes, your analysis and solution look correct. It is important to consider all the forces acting on the system in order to determine the equilibrium conditions. In this case, the force of friction must be equal to the force exerted by the spring in order for the system to remain in equilibrium. Your solution shows a clear understanding of these concepts.

1. What is the purpose of studying two stacked blocks attached to a spring?

The purpose of studying two stacked blocks attached to a spring is to understand the principles of simple harmonic motion and how external forces can affect the motion of a system.

2. How does the spring affect the motion of the stacked blocks?

The spring provides a restoring force that causes the stacked blocks to oscillate back and forth. As the blocks move, the spring stretches and compresses, storing and releasing energy.

3. How does the mass of the blocks affect the period of oscillation?

The period of oscillation (the time it takes for one complete cycle) is directly proportional to the square root of the mass of the blocks. This means that increasing the mass of the blocks will result in a longer period of oscillation.

4. What happens to the period of oscillation if the spring constant is increased?

If the spring constant is increased, the period of oscillation will decrease. This is because a higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer, and therefore the system will oscillate at a faster rate.

5. Can the stacked blocks attached to a spring system experience damping?

Yes, the stacked blocks system can experience damping, which is the gradual decrease in amplitude (or size) of the oscillations. Damping can occur due to various factors such as friction and air resistance.