Two state oscillations and quantum oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two electrons in a harmonic oscillator potential with separate stationary states. The question asks for the energy difference between the states needed for the electrons to oscillate between them. The solution involves using the Rabi oscillation equation, which relates the probability of transition to the energy difference between the two states. This equation can be used to calculate the energy difference needed for the electrons to oscillate.
Beer-monster

Homework Statement

I was asked an interesting question once that I'd like to solve but have no idea where to start.

It's hard to remember the exact details but basically:

Two electrons are in a harmonic oscillator potential but in two separate states [itex] \left | m \right \rangle [/itex] and [itex] \left | n \right \rangle [/itex]. I know these are stationary states but the combination of them are not.

I was asked something like what would the energy between the states need to be for the states to oscillate.

My understanding is that this means that the a certain condition electrons have equal probability of transition to the higher state m or dropping to the lower state n so the electrons basically hop back and forth between these states.

Does this make sense and how would I go about approaching this problem with the math?

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you're trying to solve a two-state system problem. This type of problem is usually solved using the Rabi oscillation equation, which states that the probability of transition between two states is directly related to the energy difference between them. The equation is P(m,n) = (1/2)sin^2 (E(m,n)/h * t). Where E(m,n) is the energy difference between the two states and h is Planck's constant.

You can use this equation to calculate the energy difference between the two states that would cause the electrons to oscillate between them. Hope this helps!

What is a two state oscillation?

A two state oscillation is a physical phenomenon where a system switches back and forth between two distinct states at a constant frequency. This can be seen in various natural and man-made systems, such as in the motion of a pendulum or the switching of an electrical circuit.

What is a quantum oscillator?

A quantum oscillator is a quantum mechanical system that exhibits oscillatory behavior. It can be described as a particle that is confined to a potential well and has discrete energy levels. Examples of quantum oscillators include the harmonic oscillator and the hydrogen atom.

How are two state oscillations and quantum oscillators related?

Two state oscillations are a special case of quantum oscillations, where the system only has two distinct states. In quantum mechanics, all physical systems can be described as quantum oscillators, with varying number of states and energy levels.

What is the significance of two state oscillations and quantum oscillators?

Two state oscillations and quantum oscillators have significant applications in various fields, such as in quantum computing, spectroscopy, and particle physics. They also help us understand the behavior of complex systems and the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics.

How can two state oscillations and quantum oscillators be observed or measured?

Two state oscillations and quantum oscillators can be observed and measured using various techniques, such as spectroscopy, interferometry, and quantum state tomography. These methods allow us to study the energy levels and dynamics of the system and make predictions about its behavior.