1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two state oscillations and quantum oscillator

1. Sep 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was asked an interesting question once that I'd like to solve but have no idea where to start.

It's hard to remember the exact details but basically:

Two electrons are in a harmonic oscillator potential but in two separate states [itex] \left | m \right \rangle [/itex] and [itex] \left | n \right \rangle [/itex]. I know these are stationary states but the combination of them are not.

I was asked something like what would the energy between the states need to be for the states to oscillate.

My understanding is that this means that the a certain condition electrons have equal probability of transition to the higher state m or dropping to the lower state n so the electrons basically hop back and forth between these states.

Does this make sense and how would I go about approaching this problem with the math?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?