1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two systems merging, what is final temp?

1. Nov 2, 2013 #1
    Hi all,

I just want to see if my work is correct because it's not matching the answer in the book:

A tank has a volume of 0.1 [itex]m^3[/itex] and is filled with He gas at a pressure of [itex]5x10^6[/itex] Pa. A second tank has a volume of 0.15 [itex]m^3[/itex] and is filled with He gas at a pressure of [itex]6x10^6[/itex] Pa. A valve connecting the two tanks is opened...

(My problem references this question and asks...)

If the temperatures within the two tanks before opening the valve, had been T = 300K and 350 K respectively, what would the final temperature be?

So what I did was utilize this equation:
    [tex]
    U = cNRT
    [/tex]
    to find the energies of each. Based off of the 'adiabatic and rigid' statement given I know no energy is lost to heat flow or work on the walls.

I get energies for the respective systems of 3741 J and 4365 J. Adding those together I get 8106.
    Now I just plug that number back into the former equation (this time manipulated):
    [tex]
    T = \frac{U}{cNR}
    [/tex]

And I'm getting a temp of 324.9 K. The book says 330 K. Need some help, am I wrong or is this a misprint?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Using PV = nRT and assuming PV is proportional to the energy content I find that the book's value is reasonable...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted