Two vectors forming right handed set?

In summary, the conversation discussed the confusion about the concept of "right handed set" and its application to sets of two vectors. The person was given two vectors and asked to check if they were perpendicular and formed a right handed set. The solution was suggested to use the scalar triple product, but it was noted that it may be difficult with only two vectors. The person then asked for the full problem statement and any accompanying diagrams.
Andrew Tom
Homework Statement
Do the two vectors form a right handed set
Relevant Equations
Vectors
I am confused by a question. I thought "right handed set" only applied to sets of three vectors. However I have been given 2 vectors and asked "check whether they are perpendicular to each other and if they form a right handed set. If they don't form a right handed set, the second vector must be multiplied by -1".

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post the question exactly as was given to you? Please include any accompanying diagrams. Thanks.

Likes topsquark
Andrew Tom said:
Homework Statement:: Do the two vectors form a right handed set
Relevant Equations:: Vectors

I am confused by a question. I thought "right handed set" only applied to sets of three vectors. However I have been given 2 vectors and asked "check whether they are perpendicular to each other and if they form a right handed set. If they don't form a right handed set, the second vector must be multiplied by -1".
to check if vectors form a right handed system, we can use the scalar triple product. Please give the full problem statement when asking for help.

MidgetDwarf said:
to check if vectors form a right handed system, we can use the scalar triple product. Please give the full problem statement when asking for help.
That's very difficult using only two vectors.

Do the vectors belong to a two-dimensional vector space?

1. What is a right handed set of vectors?

A right handed set of vectors is a set of two vectors that are oriented in such a way that when one vector is placed on top of the other, the fingers of the right hand can curl from the first vector to the second vector in a counter-clockwise direction.

2. How do you determine if two vectors form a right handed set?

To determine if two vectors form a right handed set, you can use the right hand rule. Place the first vector on the palm of your right hand with your fingers curled in the direction of the vector. Then, place the second vector on top of the first vector. If your fingers can curl from the first vector to the second vector in a counter-clockwise direction, then the two vectors form a right handed set.

3. What is the significance of a right handed set of vectors?

A right handed set of vectors is significant because it follows the convention used in mathematics and physics. This convention is used to determine the direction of cross products, which are used in many mathematical and physical calculations.

4. Can two vectors form a right handed set if they are parallel?

No, two vectors cannot form a right handed set if they are parallel. In order for two vectors to form a right handed set, they must be oriented in different directions. If two vectors are parallel, their directions are the same and the right hand rule cannot be applied.

5. How do you represent a right handed set of vectors mathematically?

A right handed set of vectors can be represented mathematically using the cross product. The cross product of two vectors results in a third vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors and follows the right hand rule. The magnitude of the cross product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two original vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them.