1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculation of right-handed fraction of leptons (pi decay)

1. Jul 15, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I would like to understand whether reocurring formulas in the example solutions to my homework problems hold in general and ideally where they're derived from. (I'm new here; if there's there a way to embed formulas in f.i. latex code please tell me.)
    As an example problem: pi^- can decay via electrons or muons. Phase space considerations lead to a branching ratio of w = 3.3 (electrons would be produced much more likely). The goal of the execise is to correct this ratio to the one measured in experiments (R = 1.3e-4), considering that W bosons couple only to left-handed particles and right-handed anti-particles.
    The solution is given by:
    2. Relevant equations
    R = 3.3 * \frac{1-\beta_e}{1-\beta_\mu}
    3. The attempt at a solution

From angular momentum conservation it's clear to me that lepton and corresponding anti-neutrino both have to be right-handed as for pi^-: J^P=0^-. It's intuitively clear to me that the (suppressed) right-handed fraction of leptons is smaller and thus an amount of 1-\beta (=1-p/E) makes sence for the momenta in question. What I don't know/am able to find out is whether generally the amount of left-handed particles is \beta and the right-handed amount 1-\beta and how these formulas were originally found.

Any clarification on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2017 #2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted