1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine if three vectors form a right hand triple?

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ok can someone tell me how to determine if three vectors form a right hand triple? and why does (a-b)x(a+b)=2(axb)....

plz someone help, im really confused on how to do these.... arent just three vectors a right hand triple if the dot product between them all is 0?? im not sure though plz someone help.. and the second one.. the must be a formula or a property i cant find... thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: vectors

Well, first of all what is the definition of "right hand triple"? That would seem a good place to start!

For the second, I assume that you are talking about the cross product of vectors. (a- b)x(a+ b)= what if you just go ahead and multiply it out (the distributive and associative laws of multiplication are true for the cross product). Now remember that cross product if anti-commutative. What is axa? What is bxb?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?