1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Two wave superposition with different wavelength , amplitude and frequ

1. Nov 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi

Two wave superposition with different wavelength , amplitude and frequency

u1(x,t)=A1cos(k1x+w1t)
    u2(x,t)=A2cos(k2x+w2t)

a)Show that an amplitude modulation is obtained

2. Relevant equations

No relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

u=u1+u2=A1cos(k1x+w1t)+A2cos(k2x+w2t)

and now i dont know what to do, is there any way to relate A1 and A2

I searched in the internet and I found Fresnell method which can solve it for two waves of the tipe:
    u1=u2=A1cos(w1t)
    u2=A1cos(w2t)=A1cos(w1t+phi)

but in my case I dont think I can do that because there are 2 variables in the cos

Its my first post so thanks
    pd: sorry for my bad english

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2013 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try this: Draw a right triangle with the length of one leg equal to ##A_1##, the length of the other leg equal to ##A_2##, and with hypotenuse equal to ##\sqrt{A_1^2+A_2^2}##. Then express ##A_1## and ##A_2## in terms of ##A## and an angle ##\theta##, appropriately defined. That might get it into a form you can more easily work with.

I'm just making a suggestion. I haven't actually worked the problem out, so the suggestion may not turn out to be useful.

4. Nov 13, 2013 #3
    Expresing in terms of A=√A21+A22

I arrive to the expresion

u(x,t)=(A/sinθ)(tan(θ)cos(k1x+w1t)+cos(k2x+w2t)) I dont see how it can help :/ but thanks

Maybe I can prove that theres a Amplitude modulation without merging the cos

5. Nov 13, 2013 #4
    Waves.png

I think i found a way to solve it so if i make two vectors where A1 and A2 is the module of each vector I just have to sum them and then find the angle of the resulting vector.

Where θ1=k1x-w1t
    θ2=k2x-w2t
    u1=A1cosθ1
    u2=A2cosθ2

And alfa=(θ1-θ2)/2+θ2=θ1+θ2/2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted