Tyson Says It's 'Very Likely' The Universe Is a Simulation

In summary, Neil deGrasse Tyson did not outright claim that the universe is a simulation, but he did suggest that it is a possibility based on a thought experiment. He compared it to the likelihood of a big asteroid hitting New York City, where the impact itself is unlikely but the outcome may still be probable. He also mentioned that it is possible for the universe to be a simulation without us being able to detect it.
Space news on Phys.org
Tyson Says It's 'Very Likely' The Universe Is a Simulation
No he does not. He says that, given some conditions, it is very likely, but he does not claim that those conditions are very likely.

It's like saying "if a big asteroid hits New York city tomorrow, the city will probably get destroyed". This is true - but it does not imply a large probability that New York city gets destroyed tomorrow, because the asteroid impact itself is very unlikely.

Likes billy_joule, QuantumQuest, Evo and 2 others
For those interested, here is a video stream of the debate in question.

Likes Buzz Bloom, Evo and Greg Bernhardt
If the simulation was run using spacetime as the computational medium could we tell the difference?
Is it conceivable that we might one day say the universe is definitely not a simulation, but we can't rule out that it is an experiment?

Likes mfb
I would like to hold an annual Physics forum meeting in las vegas to see you guys in my simulation. ?:):rolleyes::DD:sorry:o0):wideeyed:

jackwhirl said:
If the simulation was run using spacetime as the computational medium could we tell the difference?

I don't see how. But I didn't see how to test the EPR paradox either.

jackwhirl said:
Is it conceivable that we might one day say the universe is definitely not a simulation, but we can't rule out that it is an experiment?

I don't see how it is possible to rule out that it is an experiment. Somehow you'd have to show that this leads to a contradiction, and that seems impossible to do.

I'm very disappointed that the OP hasn't been back to acknowledge that the OP and the original title were extremely misleading. If anything, the OP should have asked the mentors to change the title or to add a message that the OP is highly misleading. As it stands, the title is just flat out wrong and attempting to mislead the public for the goal of sensation. I find these practices disgusting and disappointing.

mfb said:
No he does not. He says that, given some conditions, it is very likely, but he does not claim that those conditions are very likely.

It's like saying "if a big asteroid hits New York city tomorrow, the city will probably get destroyed". This is true - but it does not imply a large probability that New York city gets destroyed tomorrow, because the asteroid impact itself is very unlikely.
That's not really true, start at 1:38:00, his exact words were: "I think the likelihood may be very high, and my evidence for it is just: it's a thought experiment." He didn't come right out and say he thought it was likely, but he alluded to it. I think of it as a misstatement during an off-the-cuff remark rather than being interpreted incorrectly.

1. What evidence supports the idea that the universe is a simulation?

There is currently no definitive evidence that the universe is a simulation. However, some scientists theorize that the existence of unexplained phenomena, such as dark matter and dark energy, could be explained by the simulation hypothesis.

2. Who is Neil deGrasse Tyson and why is his opinion important in this discussion?

Neil deGrasse Tyson is a renowned astrophysicist and science communicator. His opinion is important in this discussion because he is well-respected in the scientific community and has a deep understanding of cosmology and the laws of physics.

3. What does it mean if the universe is a simulation?

If the universe is a simulation, it means that our reality is not actually physical but is instead a computer-generated construct. This would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and our place within it.

4. How can we know for sure whether or not the universe is a simulation?

At this point, it is impossible to definitively prove whether or not the universe is a simulation. The simulation hypothesis is currently just a theory and would require further evidence and testing to determine its validity.

5. What are the potential consequences or implications if the universe is a simulation?

If the universe is a simulation, it could change our understanding of reality and the laws of physics. It could also raise philosophical questions about the nature of consciousness and free will, as well as the possibility of interacting with or manipulating the simulation. However, until there is concrete evidence to support this theory, these are all just speculative ideas.