1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

U Of Toronto vs UBC in physics graduate school (condensed matter theory)

1. Mar 11, 2015 #1
    I have to choose between U of T and UBC for my physics graduate school. QS ranking places UBC(46th) much higher than U of T (100th), but two of my professors told me the other way around. any ideas about the discrepancy?

thanks~

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2015 #2
    Perhaps they are speaking about a specific specialty that ranks higher? Were they referencing the school itself or the condensed matter program?

4. Mar 12, 2015 #3
  5. Mar 12, 2015 #4

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Why is someone else's ranking of the programs that important to you?

When faced with this kind of decision it's important that you assess each program according to what's important for you. Generally that means speaking with faculty, particularly potential graduate advisors, and current students if you can, to get an idea for how well you are going to mesh with the program. Consider the research that's currently taking place at each institution - where is it more interesting to you? How much freedom will you have to define your own project? How much freedom do you want?
    Are recent graduates from the program moving into positions that you would like to move into?

Beyond that consider peripheral factors. Are there additional peripheral programs - such as a teaching certificate program that you might want to take advantage of? Are there campus clubs/groups you'd like to join? What about cost of living and commute times?

The relative ranking of those two schools is going to have miniscule if any influence on the outcome of your career compared your performance while you are in the program, so concentrate on factors that are likely to have the best positive impact on what you do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook