U.S. switch to digital TV broadcasting

In summary, all full-power television stations in the United States will stop broadcasting in analog and switch to 100% digital broadcasting on February 17, 2009. This program offers discounted converters for those who do not want to buy a new TV.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
https://www.dtv2009.gov/AboutProgram.aspx [Broken]

At midnight on February 17, 2009, all full-power television stations in the United States will stop broadcasting in analog and switch to 100% digital broadcasting. Digital broadcasting promises to provide a clearer picture and more programming options and will free up airwaves for use by emergency responders.

I ordered my $40 discount coupon for a converter box, since I am one of those who make do with rabbit ears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When those 'boxes' were first talked about, I thought there was something about that they (the feds) were going to give them away. I wonder what happened to that idea?

"Cable and satellite subscribers should check with their providers before February 17, 2009 to see how they are handling the transition. TVs connected to cable, satellite or other pay TV service will not require a TV converter box from this program."

Last edited:
TV is a waste of time, what is you say in the US, not worth a plug nickle? i find all i want on the net fireflv is good, it may take me a couple of years to get through that lot.

My TV has a DVD player built in, so that's its main function. No cable - so no decent programs to watch (not that I have time for it). I don't want to get completely cut off from local stations, though. Good for live updates on fires and natural disasters. There's a fair amount of burning, shaking, and sliding out here.

Math Is Hard said:
My TV has a DVD player built in, so that's its main function. No cable - so no decent programs to watch (not that I have time for it). I don't want to get completely cut off from local stations, though. Good for live updates on fires and natural disasters. There's a fair amount of burning, shaking, and sliding out here.

May be you should relocate to the UK nothing burns ,shakes or slides here, just the odd tremor.

So what is going on with the Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD war? It is my understanding that discs fromated in one will not play on the other. And neither will play on an older DVD player.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g5o_jtobEI9M5f_SARKDatmaSU3QD8TVDBLO0 [Broken]

This reminds me of the old VHS vs Beta format competition. Sony lost that one.

Math Is Hard said:
https://www.dtv2009.gov/AboutProgram.aspx [Broken]

I ordered my $40 discount coupon for a converter box, since I am one of those who make do with rabbit ears.

I was annoyed. I requested the coupons, just in case, figuring if the cable is out, I can always make do with rabbit ears (I am NOT going to buy a new TV when my TVs work perfectly fine just for the odd day when cable goes out...I'm still holding out for the flat panel TVs to get cheap before I buy another TV), but then found out they expire in only 90 days from whenever they are issued only after I requested them. If I knew that, I'd have waited to make my request until later, after most everyone has gotten their converters and they go on sale for cheap.

edward said:
So what is going on with the Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD war? It is my understanding that discs fromated in one will not play on the other. And neither will play on an older DVD player.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g5o_jtobEI9M5f_SARKDatmaSU3QD8TVDBLO0 [Broken]

This reminds me of the old VHS vs Beta format competition. Sony lost that one.

By what I here, Sony is also on the road to losing this one. It seems like HD is ahead of Blu-Ray recently.

Moonbear said:
I was annoyed. I requested the coupons, just in case, figuring if the cable is out, I can always make do with rabbit ears (I am NOT going to buy a new TV when my TVs work perfectly fine just for the odd day when cable goes out...I'm still holding out for the flat panel TVs to get cheap before I buy another TV), but then found out they expire in only 90 days from whenever they are issued only after I requested them. If I knew that, I'd have waited to make my request until later, after most everyone has gotten their converters and they go on sale for cheap.

If your going to buy a flatscreen, I would recommend you save up and buy one that is HD. They look amazing. You can also hook up your computer to it, so it can really get some good use. If I ever save up money for a flat tv, its going to be a HD. But there are also HD projectors which have a bigger picture, but you have to get a screen to project onto.

wolram said:
May be you should relocate to the UK nothing burns ,shakes or slides here, just the odd tremor.

But it's impossible to get decent tomatoes in England. You could replace them with rubber balls and no one would know. :biggrin:

Moonbear said:

Do you get the idea that this transition is going to be less that smooth? That's my prediction, anyway. I foresee riots at Best Buy during the week of the switch when there are not enough converters for those who have just learned that they need one.

G01 said:
By what I here, Sony is also on the road to losing this one. It seems like HD is ahead of Blu-Ray recently.

I spent a lot of hours transferring my my VHS home videos to DVD. It appears that within a few years I will not be able to play them on the new formats.

So I imagine I will need to buy a machine that can record the old dvd format onto the new.

Will it ever end. Will my grand children eventually find the DVD's showing their childhood years and not be able to play them?

I recently found five old style 8mm home movie camera reels in a box that belonged to my parents. Does anyone know if there is a way to transfer this video to a workable format??

Will the new media withstand the test of time. I have black and white photos that are over one hundred years old and still look good.

Right at the beginning of this thread, I read "Feb, 17, 2009" and stopped there. That's like a million days away. Do I really need to worry about this now?

edward said:
I spent a lot of hours transferring my my VHS home videos to DVD. It appears that within a few years I will not be able to play them on the new formats.

So I imagine I will need to buy a machine that can record the old dvd format onto the new.

Will it ever end. Will my grand children eventually find the DVD's showing their childhood years and not be able to play them?
It is certainly a pain in the butt. I have bought my favorite music on albums, and have bought them again in 8-tracks and then cassettes so I could play them in my car, and bought them again on CD so I could play them in my PC or in a CD player at home or in my car. Most of the cassettes are in storage, but here in my living room I have probably 300 albums and well over 500 music CDs, many of which are duplicates that I had to pay for in order (once again) to play them in my car or load in my CD carousel for continuous shuffle play. I have paid the record companies many times over for some music. For instance, I have bought and worn out 3 copies of the "Pure Prairie League" album that has never been re-released on CD. I still have two copies - one that is pretty worn and one that is quite pristine. Now, we are learning that CDs and DVDs don't last forever, and that they will develop errors over the years.

We need a holographic form of data-storage that has enough redundancy to be robust against minor data-loss. Those of us who have bought movies on DVD, only to find entire chapters corrupted after a few plays (with no visible damage to the disk) know this.

Gokul43201 said:
Right at the beginning of this thread, I read "Feb, 17, 2009" and stopped there. That's like a million days away. Do I really need to worry about this now?

You'll thank me one day.

Or not.

:biggrin:

edward said:

I recently found five old style 8mm home movie camera reels in a box that belonged to my parents. Does anyone know if there is a way to transfer this video to a workable format??

Will the new media withstand the test of time. I have black and white photos that are over one hundred years old and still look good.

I think that the whole switch to HD/BluRay is a little premature. There is not yet enough reason to make the switch justifiable. Yes, the picture is nicer, but the VHS to DVD switch offered much more. DVD's didn't have to be rewound (enough to convince me), you could play them on a computer, etc. All HD/BluRay offers is a clearer picture, and the option to play the disc on a computer is gone for the time being. It just doesn't seem worth it for me.

Integral said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=1562251#post1562251" discussing this very topic. Actually it seems that HD DVD has just been dealt a crippling blow.

Pretty interesting thread. It's seems to be the best move for the industry. My cousin who works in DVD formatting also supports Blu-Ray. It seems that they offer much more.

Math Is Hard said:
Do you get the idea that this transition is going to be less that smooth? That's my prediction, anyway. I foresee riots at Best Buy during the week of the switch when there are not enough converters for those who have just learned that they need one.

Even the news is saying it's going to be less than smooth...not necessarily because people won't have converters (that's why they're doing so much publicity now...though maybe they should have waited until converters were actually on the market...at this rate, I'll forget all about it by the time they're available)...but because they think they stations themselves are bound to run into technical glitches, which means people will go to sleep one night with all their usual TV channels, and wake up in the morning to snow with or without converters or digital TVs.

Cyrus, yeah, I'll probably hold out for an HD TV. No point in buying a new TV and already being behind. But, it's all too expensive now, so it'll just wait. I'm in no hurry.

G01 said:
I think that the whole switch to HD/BluRay is a little premature. There is not yet enough reason to make the switch justifiable. Yes, the picture is nicer, but the VHS to DVD switch offered much more. DVD's didn't have to be rewound (enough to convince me), you could play them on a computer, etc. All HD/BluRay offers is a clearer picture, and the option to play the disc on a computer is gone for the time being. It just doesn't seem worth it for me.

Not to mention that if you still have an old TV set like me, it's unlikely to make much of any difference how great the DVD player is.

Moonbear said:
Not to mention that if you still have an old TV set like me, it's unlikely to make much of any difference how great the DVD player is.

Good Point. Add that one to the list.

1. What is the reason for the U.S. switch to digital TV broadcasting?

The switch to digital TV broadcasting was mandated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in order to free up spectrum space for other services, such as wireless broadband. It also allows for higher quality audio and video compared to analog broadcasting.

2. When did the switch to digital TV broadcasting take place?

The switch to digital TV broadcasting took place on June 12, 2009. This was the deadline set by the FCC for all full-power television stations to transition from analog to digital broadcasting.

3. How does digital TV broadcasting differ from analog broadcasting?

Digital TV broadcasting uses a different method of transmitting signals, which allows for a higher quality picture and sound. It also allows for more efficient use of the spectrum, meaning more channels can be transmitted in the same amount of space.

4. Do I need a special TV to receive digital broadcasts?

If you have an older analog TV, you will need a digital converter box in order to receive digital broadcasts. However, most newer TVs already have a built-in digital tuner, so no additional equipment is needed.

5. Are there any benefits to the switch to digital TV broadcasting?

Aside from the improved audio and video quality, the switch to digital TV broadcasting also allows for more channels to be transmitted, as well as additional features such as closed captioning and interactive programming. It also frees up valuable spectrum space for other services, leading to advancements in technology and communication.

Back