U-substitution for Area of a SemiCircle

• Thread starter DahnBoson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Area
In summary, the conversation discussed the process of integrating a function from 0 to 2 and how to use u-substitution to simplify the integration. The final answer was found to be 4/3, which was closer to 1.5 than expected but still accurate. The curve was found to be a parabola instead of a circle, and the reasoning for choosing the specific equation was explained. The correctness of the integrals was also questioned and confirmed.
DahnBoson
If anyone can help i seem to have reached a breakdown somewhere down the line or am simply lacking in some knowledge about integrals as i have not fully studied integrals, if i am trying to integrate a function from (0,2) let's say ∫[-(x-1)^2+1]dx this also equals -∫[(x-1)^2]dx+∫1dx ∫1dx=x so now i just need to integrate the other function so i use u-substitution to change x-1 into u u' should=1 after that using the following du/dx times dx=du in this equation du=dx now i have -∫[(u)^2]du which equals -1/3u^3 substitute x-1 for u an i have -1/3(x-1)^3 so the whole thing looks like this -1/3(x-1)^3+x so now i plug in 2 and 0 to get 5/3-1/3 which=4/3 which is 1.3333333333 when i expected an anwser closer to 1.5 but it might be that the curvature of the graph is not as close to the the curvature of a true circle as i originally thought.

Also on a side note i chose this equation because it seems like half a circle so i figured should get an area of about half a circle with a radius of 1 also inform me if this thinking is wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The curve is a parabola, not near a circle.

i thought that it would be close enough on the interval to give me a better approximation but yeah i started thinking that the curve might be too far off as well, could you tell me if the integrals are right? I wasn't a 100% on those

The integral = 4/3 (you are correct).

Thanks mathman appreciate it.

What is U-substitution for Area of a SemiCircle?

U-substitution is a technique used in calculus to evaluate integrals that involve a variable substitution. It is commonly used to find the area of a semicircle when given the equation for the curve.

Why is U-substitution used for finding the area of a semicircle?

U-substitution makes it easier to evaluate integrals by replacing a complicated expression with a simpler one. In the case of finding the area of a semicircle, the substitution allows for the use of a basic integration formula, making the process more efficient and less prone to errors.

How do I perform U-substitution for finding the area of a semicircle?

To perform U-substitution, you need to identify a substitution that will simplify the integral. In the case of finding the area of a semicircle, the substitution u = sin(x) or u = cos(x) can be used. After substituting, you can use the basic integration formula for u to find the integral.

What are the benefits of using U-substitution for finding the area of a semicircle?

U-substitution allows for a more efficient and accurate method of evaluating integrals. It can also be used for integrals that are not easily solved using other techniques. Additionally, U-substitution can be applied to a wide range of integrals, making it a valuable tool in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

Are there any limitations to using U-substitution for finding the area of a semicircle?

While U-substitution is a powerful technique, it can only be used for integrals that involve a single variable. It may also not work for more complex integrals that require other techniques to solve. Additionally, it is important to carefully choose the substitution to avoid introducing errors in the solution.